At least 10 injured in communal clash in Uttar PradeshFebruary 21st, 2009 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 21 (IANS) At least 10 people were injured when Hindus and Muslims clashed in Uttar Pradesh’s Azamgarh district, police said Saturday.
“The incident took place in the Srinagar Siara Bazaar locality when some members of the Ulema Council, who were returning to Azamgarh from Lucknow, allegedly shouted slogans against the Hindus,” police inspector Kamlesh Singh told IANS over phone.
According to the police, two groups threw stones at each other. Some shots were also fired during the clash, a police officer said. No one was seriously injured in the clash, he added.
Deputy Inspector general of Police Vijay Kumar said: “Senior police officials are camping in the area and the security has been beefed up.” The police said the situation in the town is now under control.
Thousands of Ulema Council members were in the state capital Friday to take part in a rally to protest the alleged “victimisation of Muslim youths on the pretext of fighting terror”.
- Supporters of SP, Ulema Council clash in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 03, 2010
- Ulema Council to hold rally in Lucknow - Feb 17, 2010
- Communal clash leaves one dead, 10 injured - Aug 31, 2011
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- Security tightened in Azamgarh as Muslims vow to protest - Feb 03, 2010
- Congress leaders in Azamgarh greeted by black flags - Feb 04, 2010
- 10 injured in Uttar Pradesh clash - Apr 11, 2011
- Police raids house of murder accused BJP MP - Aug 20, 2009
- Five of family die in Uttar Pradesh accident - Jul 13, 2011
- Muslim outfit tries to disrupt Iftar party in Lucknow - Sep 08, 2010
- Muslim clerics to protest Congress leaders' Azamgarh visit - Feb 03, 2010
- Eight killed as jeep runs over Ramlila audience - Oct 28, 2011
- Aspiring teachers baton-charged in Lucknow - Nov 21, 2011
- 12 arrested after communal clash - Mar 20, 2011
- BJP activists baton charged in Lucknow - Apr 29, 2011