At age 70, woman wants divorce to avenge husband’s cruelty (Lead)August 31st, 2008 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) A 70-year-old woman who has been married for 53 years has approached a court here seeking divorce on grounds of cruelty and adultery by her husband. She calls it her overdue “revenge”.Bimla Devi wants to end her 53-year-old relationship with Rakesh Kumar, who she says has dumped her for another woman and now allegedly wants to grab her (Bimla’s) property.
The distraught woman has moved an application in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Manmohan Sharma against Kumar.
Bimla Devi and Kumar were married March 10, 1955.
The marriage turned sour after 23 years when the woman contracted tuberculosis (TB). Bimla Devi told IANS that her husband then threw her out of the house.
“My husband left me in the lurch. Only I know how I survived and got myself treated by visiting hospitals in the capital,” recalled Bimla Devi.
She went back to her home after being cured of TB but, according to her, her husband again forced her out of the house when she gave birth to a girl child.
“My husband refused to accept the child and asked me to take her to my parents’ home,” Bimla Devi said.
A few days later she learnt from a family friend that her husband was involved in a relationship with another woman. When she objected, he reportedly threatened her.
“There was nobody to help me. I wanted to get rid of this man many years back but I remained quiet because that would have spoilt my daughter’s life. But now that she is married and well settled, I want a divorce,” said Bimla Devi, with tears in her eyes.
“I know I won’t live long but I want to take revenge on my husband who has ruined my life,” she added.
The court will hear her plea Sep 4.
Bimla Devi in her divorce petition has alleged that her husband often beat her and that he will grab her home, the only thing she is left with.
Delhi has emerged as the de facto divorce capital of the country with about 8,000-9,000 cases filed here every year. The number of women filing for divorce has seen a steep increase.
(Kanu Sarda can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Freedom from cruel husband as court grants divorce to 70-year-old - Dec 12, 2008
- 70-year-old woman wants a divorce - Aug 31, 2008
- Elderly landlady murdered for property, three held - Apr 14, 2011
- Dowry harassment law misused for extortion: Court - Oct 09, 2011
- After 24 years, woman proves she is alive! - May 31, 2012
- Chinese woman kills mother-in-law, toddler - Sep 12, 2012
- Rajasthan widow alleges torture - Aug 24, 2011
- Humphries is a cancer: Kardashian - Aug 17, 2012
- Taiwanese woman pays husband RM10,000 for sex - Apr 04, 2011
- Young Bengaluru bride dumped for dowry, returns home - Mar 17, 2011
- On the rise: Divorces under 25 - Dec 29, 2011
- Malayalam actress serves legal notice om ex-husband - Jul 08, 2012
- Woman accused of affair with godman granted divorce - Jul 09, 2011
- Courteney Cox aspires to be a cougar - Nov 23, 2011
- Klum unsure about marriage - Jul 05, 2012