Assets over Rs.9 mn found from CBI officer’s residenceDecember 29th, 2008 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 29 (IANS) Assets worth more than Rs.9 million were unearthed from the residence of a senior Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officer who was probing high-profile cases like Rabindranath Tagore’s Nobel Prize medallion theft. He was arrested Sunday for allegedly taking a bribe from a truck operator.CBI special superintendent of police (crime branch) Partha Sarathi Bose was caught red-handed by personnel of the agency’s anti-corruption bureau branch (New Delhi) while allegedly taking a bribe of Rs.50,000 from a Kolkata-based truck operator. Bose was also involved in the Tapasi Malik murder probe.
“Searches at his residence revealed cash worth Rs.1,379,800 (Rs.1.3 million); investments worth Rs.3,318,500 (Rs.3.3 million) in Monthly Income Scheme (MIS) in 12 post office branches bearing 41 accounts; investments of Rs.3,536,059 (Rs.3.5 million) in National Saving Certificates (NSCs), Kisan Vikas Patras (KVPs) and fixed deposits,” the CBI said Monday.
A flat worth Rs.1 million at Ulta Danga in the north eastern part of the city, besides jewellery was also recovered, according to information posted on the agency’s website.
“Besides, bank balances in accounts in various banks are yet to be calculated and the locker in Allahabad Bank at Ulta Danga branch is yet to be operated,” the agency said.
Bose was produced at the designated CBI court in Barasat in North 24 Parganas Monday.
The CBI counsel sought transit remand for Bose for taking him to Delhi. The judge gave him a day’s transit remand and Bose would be produced at the Patiala House Court Tuesday.
However, responding to queries form scribes at the court, Bose claimed that he had been framed.
“Yes, yes,” he replied when asked whether his present predicament was the consequence of his role in probing sensitive cases.
Bose was nabbed from near an electronics shop at Ultadanga in the north-eastern part of the city by the sleuths who had laid a trap after receiving a tip-off.
Truck operator Avtar Singh, who owns a garage at Bhowanipore in the southern part of the city, filed a complaint with the CBI that Bose was harassing him and demanding a bribe of Rs.50,000 from him in order “not to falsely implicate him in another case”.
A case was registered Saturday against Bose under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
- CBI raids 40 contractors in theft case - Mar 27, 2010
- CBI remand for Punjab woman police officer - Jul 25, 2011
- India penalises Israeli defence firm for contract breach - Apr 16, 2012
- CBI arrests senior Revenue Intelligence official for graft - Mar 07, 2012
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- India penalises Israeli defence firm for contract breach (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Cash, jewellery seized from Reddy kin's bank lockers, driver - Sep 17, 2011
- Bank of India official arrested for bribery - Jul 07, 2012
- Tatra deal: BEML to sue ex-army chief for defamation (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Richie rich: Punjab's millionaire woman cop in CBI net - Aug 03, 2011
- Tatra scam: CBI grills Tejinder for 6 hours (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- CBI arrests Punjab Police officer for graft (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Bribe case: Excise official, middleman sent to CBI custody (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Two provident fund officials arrested for graft - Oct 05, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Ex-legislator, three arrested (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012