Assault incident gave edge to my music: RihannaMarch 16th, 2011 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 16 (IANS) Singer Rihanna reveals that the infamous 2009 assault by her then boyfriend has made her strong and a better songwriter.
“It actually gave me a lot of liberation. What I mean is, I was able to tap into the personal part of my music. I started to tell stories through my music that were actually my stories,” femalefirst.co.uk. quoted her as saying.
The “Umbrella” hitmaker was beaten black and blue by then-boyfriend Chris Brown, who is still serving his punishment for the attack. The couple split immediately after the fight.
“(In) my album before that there was still a little bit of protection, there was still an innocence to me. And what that time in my life did was kind of wake people up - it’s not all a bed of roses. My life is like yours,” she added.
“It made me look at the world in a much bigger way because my life was suddenly super duper magnified. All eyes were on me. I needed that in my life to know how to say, ‘F**k off!’ To know how to keep my head high even in the worst of situations. I keep using the word unapologetic, but there’s a freedom that has come with all of that. Where you feel like you don’t have to make an excuse for being yourself,” she added.
- Rihanna says 'S and M' video is not all about sex - Mar 23, 2011
- I still love Chris Brown: Rihanna - Aug 20, 2012
- Rihanna named woman of the year - Jul 27, 2011
- Rihanna regrets staying with Brown after assault - Dec 04, 2010
- Now there is balance in my life, says Rihanna - Jul 02, 2010
- Rihanna to give up bad habits in New Year - Jan 01, 2010
- Nude pics were 'humiliating,' says Rihanna - Nov 27, 2009
- Losing Chris was like losing best friend: Rihanna - Aug 13, 2012
- Rihanna not interested in 'Bodyguard' remake - Mar 09, 2011
- Rihanna disappointed to miss best pal Kate Perry's Indian wedding - Oct 29, 2010
- Matt Kemp loves to be around Rihanna - May 06, 2010
- Rihanna Does Not Want To Be Labeled As A Weakling! - Nov 29, 2010
- Rihanna doesn't want to be a single mum - Dec 01, 2010
- My boyfriend keeps me sane: Rihanna - Jun 10, 2010
- Rihanna inspires Will Smith's daughter - Sep 09, 2010