Assam Rifles contingent leaves for Haiti UN missionJune 27th, 2012 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) A 160-man contingent of India’s Assam Rifles Wednesday left for the Caribbean nation of Haiti on a year-long deployment under the United Nations’ stabilisation mission that has been functioning there since 2004.
This is the third Assam Rifles contingent to be deployed in Haiti, according to a Home Ministry release. It includes 10 officers.
The contingent, led by Commandant R.C. Kothari, was flagged off by Assam Rifles officiating director general Major General R.K. Lakhanpaul.
The Indian government had sanctioned the services of Assam Rifles in Haiti for five years from 2010, with a contingent sent in rotation every year.
The first contingent had gone to Haiti in 2010 and was awarded with an unit citation from UN Police Commissioner and Indian Ambassador to Cuba, Dominican Republic and Haiti.
The force will be serving the UN mandate to restore a secure and stable environment in Haiti in order to promote a political process for strengthening Haiti’s government institutions and rule of law.
Besides India, 41 other countries have deployed their personnel for UN operations in Haiti.
Haiti had suffered a severe earth quake in 2010 in which 2.2 lakh persons including 160 UN peacekeepers had lost their lives. The reconstruction work is still going on for which UN is playing a major role.
- BSF contingent leaving for UN mission in Haiti - Dec 21, 2011
- Indian peacekeepers honoured in Haiti - May 11, 2012
- Sri Lanka army chief meets UN peacekeeping officials - Sep 18, 2011
- Tharoor visits Haiti, meets president and Indian peacekeepers - Jan 25, 2010
- CRPF women contingent leaves for Liberia - Feb 16, 2012
- India gives Haiti $1 mn for emergency relief, Indian peacekeepers safe (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- UN peace units to protect aid in quake-hit Haiti - Jan 19, 2010
- UN regroups peacekeeping mission, launches relief efforts (Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Fate of Filipino peacekeepers uncertain after Haiti quake - Jan 13, 2010
- Three killed Indian peacekeepers to be honoured - May 25, 2012
- Bangladesh peacekeeper shot at in Ivory Coast - Apr 12, 2011
- Assam Rifles set for UN mission in quake-hit Haiti - Mar 11, 2010
- Police search for fugitives from prisons in quake-hit Haiti - Jan 19, 2010
- No reports of sexual violence by Indian troops in Kashmir: UN - Apr 06, 2011
- UN to mark day commemorating peacekeepers - May 27, 2011
Tags: assam rifles, caribbean nation, commandant, director general, earth quake, government institutions, home ministry, indian ambassador, indian government, june 27, kothari, mandate, ministry release, New Delhi, police commissioner, reconstruction work, rule of law, stable environment, un peacekeepers, unit citation