Assam prays for peace this EidAugust 20th, 2012 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Aug 20 (IANS) Peace remained the central focus of Eid in Assam Monday with thousands of people offering Namaz-e-Eid at mosques across the state, including in the troubled Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts where 77 people have been killed in ethnic clashes and more than four lakh displaced.
Thousands of Muslims participated in special prayers organised at Eidgahs, mosques and open grounds and asked for lasting peace in Assam, particularly in the Bodoland Territorial Areas Districts (BTAD.
“We have organised special prayers today (Monday) to pray for lasting peace in Assam. The true meaning of Islam is peace and we have prayed to the Almighty Allah to empower every one of us so that we can follow the true spirit of Islam,” said Anowar Hussain, the imam of the Burha Jame Mosque in Guwahati, which is one of the oldest mosques in the state.
According to the 2011 census, 31.3 percent of Assam’s total population is Muslim and there are over 300 mosques in Assam’s main city Guwahati.
Hussain said that all Eid committees in Assam had decided to organise the special prayers to pray for peace as well as for the well being of the displaced people in three recent violence hit districts of Assam so they can return home soon.
“We have also prayed to the Almighty to stop the mistrust among communities that have made several people from this part of the country flee from states like Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharastra and others,” said Hussain.
The mood was subdued in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri, where district administrations made special arrangements for inmates of relief camps so they could offer their prayers.
- Assam prays for peace this Eid (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Bodo areas calm, rehabilitation starts - Sep 02, 2012
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Prayers for peace as Andhra celebrates Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Assam's violence-hit areas - Sep 08, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Udalguri after youth's body found - Sep 06, 2012
- Kokrajhar tense: Curfew, call for indefinite bandh - Aug 24, 2012
- Rehabilitate Bengali Muslims only after verification: Bodo groups - Aug 18, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: almighty allah, andhra pradesh, assam, central focus, eid, ethnic clashes, imam, jame, lakh, lasting peace, maharastra, meaning of islam, mistrust, mosques, namaz, relief camps, spirit of islam, total population, true meaning, true spirit