Assam police launch operation against MaoistsJanuary 28th, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Jan 28 (IANS) Assam police have launched an operation in Assam’s Dhemaji district in search of some Maoists, an official said Saturday.
The drive came after police had a shootout with a suspected Maoist in the district a few days back. The person who fired at police managed to escape.
Police said that the shootout took place when a police party, acting on a tip-off, cordoned off the residence of suspected Maoist Gajen Borpatragohain in Silapathar area in the district. “An armed person fired at the police party and escaped taking advantage of darkness,” police said.
Police later questioned Borpartragohain’s wife Nabanita, who said someone known as Akash Baruah had taked shelter in her house over the last few weeks. She said that her husband was not present at home during police action and it was Baruah who fired at police and escaped.
A police official said that both Borpartragohain and Baruah were listed Maoists, who were actively involved in Mega Dam Resistance Forum - a committee allegedly formed by the Maoists to oppose dam construction in the region.
“Both are known Maoists and they have even received arms training from the rebels in central India,” said the official.
Maoists insurgency is new phenomenon to Assam. A few months ago suspected rebels issued extortion letters to people in some upper Assam districts.
- ULFA faction lends moral support to Maoists - May 10, 2012
- Two Maoists escape during gun battle - Oct 19, 2011
- Anti-dam activists slam Assam government - May 15, 2012
- Four Maoists killed in Assam - May 09, 2012
- Accidents kills six in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Maoists kill CRPF man, injure six in Bihar - Jun 10, 2012
- Assam ties up with Arunachal to counter Maoist menace - May 10, 2012
- Maoist activity in 7 districts: Assam police chief - Feb 21, 2012
- Four Maoists held in Chhattisgarh - Oct 14, 2010
- Assam to train officials against 'Red Terror' - May 05, 2012
- Four Maoists, one trooper killed in Chhattisgarh gun battle - Aug 17, 2011
- Peaceniks counter ULFA with volleyball - Apr 06, 2012
- Thousands of fleeing northeastern people reach Guwahati - Aug 18, 2012
- ULFA militants killed in Assam - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: assam districts, assam police, baruah, central india, cordoned, dam construction, darkness, extortion, few days, jan 28, launch, maoist, maoists, mega dam, nabanita, phenomenon, police action, police official, rebels, upper assam