Assam ‘Maoists’ were murdered: PUDRMay 15th, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) The People’s Union for Democratic Rights (PUDR) Tuesday accused security forces of killing four young men in Assam in cold blood and branding them Maoists.
A PUDR statement quoted families of the slain men and local media reports as saying that “this was nothing but a cold-blooded murder which was later (shown) as an ‘encounter’.”
On May 9, a joint team of Assam Police, Central Reserve Police Force and Indian Army killed the four in Assam’s Saidya area, the PUDR said.
The victims were identified as Siddhartha Buragohain, Medang Gogoi alias Rajib Gogoi, Hiren Chetia alias Rajat and Kamala Buragohain. They were aged between 25 and 30 years.
The statement said: “The police found the four youth taking food, and there was no resistance from the unarmed youth.
“Subsequently all four were shot by the police from point-blank range and killed in cold blood.
“Not a single soldier was injured in this ‘encounter’ which was said to be a ‘fierce gun battle’.”
PUDR said: “This ‘encounter’ is one among several thousand such custodial killings by the Indian security forces and the Assam Police in the name of ‘counter-insurgency’ operations.”
- Bangladesh hands over three ULFA rebels - Feb 05, 2011
- Chidambaram is biggest murderer of democracy: Swami Agnivesh (Interview) - May 07, 2012
- Staged gunfights: Congress walks out of Chhattisgarh assembly - Sep 09, 2011
- Driver kills six tourist passengers - Oct 05, 2011
- Monday's police shootout deaths in Srinagar questioned - Nov 30, 2010
- Ire over village head's slaying in Chhattisgarh mounts - Aug 13, 2011
- Four murdered in Kolkata house - Sep 07, 2012
- Back in open, but Assam's freed rebels have lot to do - Dec 25, 2010
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- Leaders won't jump parole if freed for peace talks: ULFA - Jan 18, 2010
- Assam killers arrested in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2011
- Radhika killer arrested in Mumbai - Mar 12, 2011
- Chhattisgarh orders probe into girl's shootout killing - Aug 31, 2011
- ULFA faction lends moral support to Maoists - May 10, 2012
- ULFA's 'Mama' released on bail, fifth to be set free - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: assam police, cold blood, cold blooded murder, counter insurgency, custodial killings, democratic rights, gun battle, hiren, indian army, indian security forces, kamala, local media, maoists, point blank range, police central, police force, rajat, reserve police, s union, siddhartha