Assam farm leader’s hunger strike gets NAPM supportMay 22nd, 2012 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 22 (IANS) Peasant leader Akhil Gogoi, who has been on a fast-unto-death since May 19 against the building of dams in the northeastern region, Tuesday won the support of the National Alliance of People’s Movements (NAPM).
“The NAPM supports the brave struggle of KMSS (Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti) and Akhil Gogoi for life with dignity and against unjust destructive capitalist development thrust upon people against their will. We support the demand made by the people’s movements and urge the governments of India and Assam to immediately intervene and listen to the people’s voices,” said a NAPM statement.
Meanwhile, government doctors, who examined Gogoi, said his health had deteriorated.
Gogoi, who heads KMSS, is on a hunger strike here demanding that the state government stop construction of all mega-dams in the northeast, stop action against anti-dam activists, and unconditionally release 27 activists detained May 11 from Ghagar in Lakhimpur district.
- Assam's anti-dam activist threatens indefinite fast - May 18, 2012
- Anti-dam activists slam Assam government - May 15, 2012
- Assam rights panel moves NHRC over police atrocities - Jun 21, 2012
- Assam's anti-dam activist starts protest fast - May 19, 2012
- Akhil ends fast; vows to strengthen anti-dam movement (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Convention on mega dams in Assam from Feb 25 - Feb 02, 2012
- Anti-dam movement: Hazare urges Akhil Gogoi to end fast - May 28, 2012
- Assam peasant leader held for violent protests - Jun 24, 2011
- Molestation of teen sparks national outrage; four held (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Four nabbed for molesting teenager in Guwahati (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Medha Patkar attacks Assam on mega dams on Brahmaputra - Jul 14, 2010
- KMSS to launch stir over non-repair of embankments - Jul 20, 2012
- Molestation of teen sparks national outrage; four held (Intro Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Indefinite blockade in Assam over Arunachal dam - Jan 02, 2012
- RTI activist detained in Assam - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: activists, akhil, assam, brave struggle, capitalist development, dignity, farm leader, gogoi, government doctors, governments, hunger strike, India, mega dams, NAPM, national alliance, northeastern region, peasant leader, state government, stop construction, voices