Assam blasts: France, EU add voice to condemnationsNovember 1st, 2008 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS) France, which holds the current presidency of the European Union, Saturday condemned the “cowardly and despicable” bombings in Assam and underlined its solidarity with India in combating the scourge of terrorism. “France firmly condemns these cowardly and despicable acts,” French President Nicolas Sarkozy said in a letter to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“During this ordeal for Indian citizens, France remains at your side and remains evermore resolute in strengthening its cooperation with your country for combating the scourge of terrorism,” Sarkozy said while conveying condolences to families of at least 77 people who died in multiple blasts in parts of Assam Thursday.
In a separate statement, the Presidency of the Council of the European Union expressed its “deep grief” at heinous blasts in Assam and reaffirmed its “full solidarity to the Indian authorities”.
The EU “remains staunchly at their side in their fight against terrorism”, the statement said.
- Mumbai terror: World leaders rally in solidarity (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2011
- Delhi blast a heinous attack: Sarkozy - Sep 07, 2011
- Mumbai blasts: Israel says resilience will prevail - Jul 14, 2011
- French President Sarkozy condemns 'cowardly' attack on Moscow subway - Mar 29, 2010
- US denounces Delhi bomb blast - Sep 08, 2011
- Delhi blast: World rallies to India's support (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2011
- US conveys solidarity over Delhi bombing - Sep 08, 2011
- India, France reaffirm commitment to combat terrorism - Dec 06, 2010
- Sarkozy salutes 26/11 victims, hits out at Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- UNSC condemns Delhi attack; vows to combat terror - Sep 08, 2011
- Canada stands by India, says terrorism is 'alive and active' - Jul 14, 2011
- Sarkozy backs India for UNSC, NSG (Evening Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- Nepal silence on Mumbai blasts shows drift in India ties - Jul 14, 2011
- India, France ink pact for 2 n-reactors, Mirage deal finalised (Roundup) - Dec 06, 2010
- India, France in pact for two n-reactors, unite against terror (Second Lead) - Dec 06, 2010