Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: RussiaMarch 28th, 2012 - 1:13 am ICT by IANS
Seoul, March 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Removing Syrian President Bashar al-Assad from power is not a quick and easy fix for the country’s problems, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Tuesday.
“The internal conflict currently tearing Syrian society apart will not disappear with the departure of one or another political figure,” said Medvedev during the two-day nuclear summit in Seoul that concluded Tuesday.
“To consider that Assad’s departure would solve all the problems would be very nearsighted.”
“I would like the decision on the fate of the Syrian state, society, political system and people to be taken not by the respected leaders of world powers, even by those acting in good faith, but by the Syrian people themselves, by all levels of Syrian society,” the Russian president said.
On Sunday, Medvedev said that UN-Arab envoy Kofi Annan’s peace mission to Syria might be the last chance to avoid a “prolonged and bloody civil war”.
In an apparent hardening of Russia’s position on Syria, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov last week said that Assad handled initial peaceful protests “incorrectly”.
On Tuesday, Russia said it would not attend the second Friends of Syria meeting, set for this weekend in Istanbul.
According to the UN, over 8,000 people have been killed, many of them civilians, during the year-long uprising against Assad’s rule.
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia says Annan's mission offers last chance to Syria - Mar 25, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, bloody civil war, civilians, dmitry medvedev, fate, foreign minister, good faith, internal conflict, istanbul, kofi annan, last chance, nuclear summit, peace mission, peaceful protests, president bashar, ria novosti, russian president, seoul, syrian president bashar al, uprising