Asma Jehangir discusses religious issues with NHRCMarch 19th, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) Noted Pakistani rights activist and Special Rapporteur of the UN Commission of Human Rights Asma Jehangir Wednesday visited the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) here to discuss religious issues having a bearing on human rights. Jehangir called on NHRC chairman Justice Rajendra Babu as part of her in-depth study of human rights situation in India.
“She held discussion with the chairman, members and senior officials of the NHRC. The discussion centred on religious issues in India having a bearing on human rights,” an NHRC statement said.
The instances of communal violence in various parts of India, rehabilitation of riot affected in Gujarat, and the issue of religious conversion also cropped up during the discussion.
“Jehangir was briefed about the NHRC’s working and also about the coordination with the state human right commissions,” the statement added.
As part of her study, which will be submitted to the United Nations, Jehangir is meeting people from a cross section of Indian society, including bureaucrats, police officials, intellectuals and politicians.
- Asma Jahangir visits NHRC - Mar 19, 2008
- NHRC seeks solution on Mayanmarese asylum seekers - May 25, 2012
- Gujarat riots: Report sought on damaged religious structures - Mar 22, 2011
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Asma Jehangir meets Bal Thackeray - Mar 11, 2008
- Probe Asma Jahangir's death plot, say human rights groups - Jun 06, 2012
- K.G. Balakrishnan may become next NHRC chief - May 12, 2010
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC - Apr 27, 2012
- Apex court asks government why NHRC chief's post vacant - Oct 19, 2009
- Artists condemn move to remove Gujarat riots video from China show - Jul 26, 2012
- NHRC seeks report on Assam violence - Aug 01, 2012
- NHRC chief releases book on rights of persons with disabilities - Sep 03, 2010
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NHRC concerned over crime against women in Assam - May 29, 2012
- Now UN rights rapporteur recommends AFSPA repeal - Mar 10, 2012