Asian police officer’s racial bias case dismissedSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 2 (IANS) A British employment tribunal has dismissed a case of racial discrimination against the Metropolitan Police levelled by senior Asian officer Shabir Husain.He is one of the two officers - Assistant Commissioner Tarique Ghaffur being the other - to have levelled race charges against police chief Sir Ian Blair. Ghaffur’s case will come up for hearing shortly.
Commander Shabir Hussain, 45, who is one of the highest-ranked ethnic minority officers in the country, contended he had been repeatedly overlooked for promotion by Sir Blair, the Met’s commissioner, because “my face did not fit and did not fit because I am not white”.
But Sir Blair refuted the charges. “I have said there is no favourite few. I absolutely refute the suggestion that any racial motivation, any bias, conscious or unconscious, could possibly influence me in decisions I have taken and the discussions around senior posts I have had.”
Former police chief Lord Stevens came out in support of Husain, but that did not affect the tribunal’s decision to dismiss the case.
A spokesman for Scotland Yard said: “The tribunal has clearly recognised that our treatment of Commander Hussain has been fair, appropriate and transparent.”
Husain said: “I’m disappointed but the hearing did expose the shortcomings of the promotion process. I aim to carry on with my career as normal.”
- Asian officer loses racial bias case against Met - Sep 02, 2008
- Britains top cop denies blocking promotion of senior Asian police officer - Jul 11, 2008
- London police asked to have more ethnic officers - Jul 08, 2010
- Scotland Yard admits racial discrimination in force - Jan 08, 2010
- Ghaffur Case: London Met now swamped by race discrimination claims - Aug 30, 2008
- British police chief denies race bias against Asian officer - Jul 11, 2008
- Top Asian police officer threatens suit on racism grounds - Jun 27, 2008
- Asian policewoman in Britain complains of racism - Sep 11, 2008
- Now, Met''s top MUslim woman cop sues for ''racism'' - Sep 11, 2008
- Muslim police officer to sue Scotland Yard chief for racial discrimination - Jun 26, 2008
- UK top cop accused of overlooking black and Asian staff for promotion' - Jun 24, 2008
- Top Asian police officer files race charges against force - Aug 23, 2008
- 'British Asian officer in 300,000 pound deal to end racism claim' - Nov 05, 2008
- Battle lines drawn in London police racism row - Aug 29, 2008
- London Mayor to launch inquiry into racism at the Met - Oct 06, 2008