Asian-origin girl, paralysed in shooting, faces tough lifeMarch 26th, 2012 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 26 (IANS) Thusha Kamaleswaran, a five-year-old Asian-origin girl once dreamt of growing up as a dancer. But her dream has been dashed by a murderous attempt which left her paralysed for life in Britain.
Three members of a notorious gang mistakenly blasted the little girl in the chest while she was happily skipping in the aisles of her uncle’s corner shop last March in Stockwell, south London, the Daily Mail reported.
Though Nathaniel Grant, 21, Kazeem Kolawole, 19, and Anthony McCalla, 20, who shot up Thusha have been jailed, she will have to wear a brace and leg splints permanently. She will need a wheelchair for the rest of her life.
She had been caught in the crossfire of a tit-for-tat gang feud and twice went into cardiac arrest as paramedics frantically battled to save her.
Thusha, who remained in a medically induced coma for a month, was shot in her uncle’s Food and Wine store, March 29, 2011.
The bicycling attackers had been chasing a rival gang member into the store.
Also, Roshan Selvakumar, 35, who lived upstairs and was buying groceries, was hit in the face by the second shot.
The attackers were members of the infamous Brixton-based GAS gang - short for Guns And Shanks - and were hunting youths from the rival ABM - or All ‘Bout Money - gang, based in neighbouring Stockwell.
Gangsters Grant and Kolawole claimed they had been wrongly identified and McCalla insisted he thought he was only taking part in a cannabis robbery.
An Old Bailey jury, however, convicted them of wounding the two victims with intent and the attempted murder of rival gang member Roshaun Bryan.
Thusha’s mother, Sharmila, and her father, Jeyakumar Ghanasekaram, sat quietly watching from the well of court as the trio were convicted.
- SMART biochip can speedily detect flu virus - Jun 11, 2012
- Tattoo solves seven-year-old murder case - Apr 23, 2011
- Noted Comedian Charlie Callas Dies At 83 - Jan 29, 2011
- Reward announced for capture of escaped convict - Jun 20, 2011
- Two arrested for attack on gang leader in Ghaziabad - Nov 25, 2011
- British woman cop writes erotic letters to inmates, jailed - Jun 07, 2012
- Asian jailed in Britain for framing innocent man - Aug 17, 2012
- Bulgarian women gang jailed for London pickpocketing - Aug 04, 2012
- Eva Mendes to relive Callas on-screen - May 21, 2011
- Tory politician exposed of leading secret life as notorious Biker gang's member - Feb 20, 2011
- Four held in Delhi MLA's shooting - Jun 03, 2012
- 'Pakistani sex gang had Punjabi values' - Jun 25, 2012
- Court invalidates provision for caretaker Bangladesh government - May 10, 2011
- SHOs now responsible for witness' security in Haryana - May 20, 2012
- Furtado was a 'hopeless rebel' - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: asian origin, attempted murder, bailey jury, bout money, cardiac arrest, daily mail, leg splints, london march, mccalla, notorious gang, old bailey, paralysed, paramedics, rival gang member, selvakumar, shanks, sharmila, south london, stockwell, wine store