Asian officer of London police claims threats to lifeAugust 31st, 2008 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 31 (IANS) Tarique Ghaffur, the seniormost Asian officer of the Metropolitan Police, is reported to have received many threats to him and his family from within and without the force for suing his own police chief in a race row.Ghaffur’s lawyer Shahrokh Mireskandari said: “He is considering the best course of action for the sake of his own protection and that of his family.”
A friend of the Ghaffurs said the officer has received grave threats, many of them life threats to him and his family, from both external and internal sources.
Unconfirmed reports said Ghaffur was trying to hire private security guards to protect him and his family. It is claimed he is unwilling to report the matter to the police as he does not believe the force he is suing would protect him.
Reports of threats have surfaced within 24 hours after senior officers of the police, supporters of police chief Sir Ian Blair, came out openly against Ghaffur. Deputy Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson had gone to the extent of asking Ghaffur to “shut up”.
Despite his 1 million pound damages claim on the grounds that he has been the victim of racial, religious and age discrimination, Ghaffur has previously said he would continue to work alongside senior colleagues.
Privately, a number of senior police figures believe that the officer should be transferred to another job outside the Met or go on leave pending the outcome of his case. According to The Guardian, sources at Scotland Yard have revealed that a number of senior colleagues believe it is no longer possible to work closely with him.
- Battle lines drawn in London police racism row - Aug 29, 2008
- Scotland Yard admits racial discrimination in force - Jan 08, 2010
- Ghaffur Case: London Met now swamped by race discrimination claims - Aug 30, 2008
- UK race row cop told to `shut up and get on with his job - Aug 29, 2008
- Top Asian police officer files race charges against force - Aug 23, 2008
- Senior Asian British police officer sues over racial discrimination, humiliation - Aug 23, 2008
- Scotland Yard to be sued over cabbie's killing? - Aug 10, 2011
- London police asked to have more ethnic officers - Jul 08, 2010
- Cameron wants Pakistan to act on British family's murder - Aug 28, 2012
- Lance Stephenson Drafted By Indiana Pacers - Jun 25, 2010
- Britains top cop had his Asian rival bugged - Aug 18, 2008
- Britain steps up security, fearing Mumbai-like attack - Nov 27, 2010
- Asian police officer faces sack for racism charge against boss - Jul 19, 2008
- Solicitor General Subramanium's resignation accepted - Jul 14, 2011
- British police may use China-like spy bugs for 2012 Olympics - Jun 07, 2009