Asian Development Bank assistance to help Assam tackle floodsNovember 20th, 2008 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Nov 20 (Xinhua) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) on Thursday said it is helping upgrade India’s capability to prevent severe flooding in one of its poorest states.ADB is extending a $150,000 technical assistance grant to help lay the groundwork for a project designed to improve Assam’s shields against flooding.
The project also aims to strengthen the state’s policy, planning, and institutional framework to address the problems with a long-term strategy, the regional lender said in a press release.
Another $750,000 grant will be provided by the Multi-donor Trust Fund under the Water Financing Partnership Facility.
The fund, administered by the ADB, is contributed by the governments of Australia, Austria, and Norway. Additional counterpart financing of $230,000 is being provided by the Assam government.
India is one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to floods and land erosion. Assam is especially vulnerable with 90 percent of its agricultural and urban land located in flood-prone areas.
The Indian government has developed a policy framework for integrated flood management but major gaps continue to exist between the national framework and actual implementation at the state level, ADB said.
- 120 million dollar ADB grant to help Assam tackle floods, land erosion - Oct 20, 2010
- ADB to give 150 million dollars as credit to scale up India's solar power sector - Apr 19, 2011
- PM recognises Assam soil erosion as natural disaster - Jul 03, 2012
- ADB loan to improve power distribution in India - Feb 27, 2012
- 132 million dollar ADB power project to benefit millions in Bihar - Oct 20, 2010
- Pak assures ADB of employing anti-corruption measures for $650mn flood project loan - Apr 30, 2011
- Lack of contractors hitting northeast projects: ADB - Aug 08, 2012
- ADB to give $889 million for Himachal, Assam power projects - Jan 19, 2011
- ADB to help protect coastal areas in three vulnerable Indian states - Sep 29, 2010
- ADB aid to developing countries tops $21.7 bn in 2011 - Apr 26, 2012
- ADB 2009 performance on track: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- Allow compensation for erosion, Gogoi asks PM - Apr 20, 2012
- ADB approves 650-mn-dollar loan to help Pakistan rebuild flood-hit infrastructure - Mar 31, 2011
- ADB lends 250 million dollars to help build Bangalore metro rail system - Apr 01, 2011
- ADB 170 million dollar facility to help Bihar, Maharashtra modernize horticulture systems - Sep 16, 2010