Asian Boxing: Pinki, Sonia, Sarita in semifinalsMarch 21st, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 21 (IANS) Indian women pugilists Pinki Jangra, Sonia Lather and Sarita Devi secured semifinal berths in their respective categories at the Asian Women Boxing Championships at Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia Wednesday.
Meena Rani, however, was not as fortunate as her compatriots as she lost her bout to Uyanga Erdenesoyol of Mongolia.
In the 48 kg category, Pinki defeated Dina Ilyubayeva of Kazakhstan 17-8. The bout was evenly poised in the first round which ended at 2-2 while the second round too ended with boxers tied on 5-5. However, Pinki turned the bout around in round three taking a four point lead, 10-6. In the final round it was an all out assault by Pinki as she surged ahead. She will now meet Yujie Luo of China Saturday.
Sonia Lather, fighting in the 54 kg category, defeated her opponent Vidhushika Prabadhi Mohott from Sri Lanka 24-5. Sonia’s Sri Lankan opponent was no match for her swift footwork and movements. The Indian boxer delivered telling blows on her opponent and set up a clash with Kazakhstan’s Gulzhan Akimova.
Sarita ousted another Kazakh from the tournament as she thrashed Gulzhaina Ubbiniyazova 23-11. She will face stiffer competition in the semi-finals when she takes on China’s Chen Dong.
In the 64 kg, Meena fought hard but narrowly lost 11-13. At the end of round one, Meena led 3-1 and continued to hold the upper hand with round two finishing on 4-2. In the third, the Mongolian boxer with the local crowd supporters vociferously cheering her went on the offensive and snatched the lead as Meena trailed her opponent by one point 7-8. Although Meena tried to go all out in round four, the Mongolian held on to her lead.
In the quarterfinal bouts Thursday, Mary Kom will meet Nandinsetseg Myagmardul of Mongolia while in the 57 kg, Mandakini Chanu will face North Korean Kil Ok Kim. In the 69 kg, Monica Saun will meet Moldir Bazarbayeva of Kazakhstan while in the 75 kg, Pooja Rani will take on Undram Erdenesoyol of Mongolia.
- Mary Kom in semis of Asian Boxing Championships - Mar 22, 2012
- Sarita Devi advances in boxing world championship - May 13, 2012
- Rich haul of medals for India in Asian Women's Boxing - Mar 25, 2012
- Olympic medal perfect way to end my career: Mary Kom - May 08, 2012
- Mary Kom to lead Indian challenge in Asian championship - Mar 01, 2012
- Monica, Pooja in China Open boxing semifinals - May 31, 2011
- Mary Kom eases into semis of National Boxing - Oct 14, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Kavita settles for a bronze - Nov 24, 2010
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Akhil Kumar in semis of Arafura Games - May 11, 2011
- Mary Kom moves closer to Olympic berth - May 15, 2012
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Sarita in pre-quarters, closer to Olympics - May 14, 2012