Asia Cup: Bangladesh restrict Pakistan to 236/9March 22nd, 2012 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mirpur (Dhaka), March 22 (IANS) Bangladesh bowled well to restrict Pakistan to 236 for nine in the Asia Cup final at the Shere Bangla National Stadium here Thursday.
Opting to field, Bangladesh took wickets at regular intervals as the Pakistanis failed to stitch a good partnership.
Left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak was the pick of the bowlers giving away only 26 runs in his ten overs and taking two wickets. Mashrafe Mortaza and Shakib-al-Hasan also picked up two wickets each.
Pakistan opener Mohammad Hafeez (40) held one end but lost wickets around him. Umar Akmal (30) and Hammad Azam (30) put on a stand of 59 runs for the fifth wicket but fell in quick succession to again put the Pakistan team on the backfoot.
Pakistan would have been in deep trouble if it wasn’t for some late heroics by keeper Sarfraz Ahmed (46). Sarfraz smashed pacer Shahadat Hossain — who had a day to forget giving away 63 runs off nine overs — for 19 runs in the last over as Pakistan reached a fighting total.
Shahid Afridi (32) took on the Bangladeshi bowling but a wonderful running catch by Nasir Hossain off Shakib sent the mercurial batsman back to the hut.
Bangladesh put a spirited performance in the field and the slower bowlers had a field day, sharing five wickets between them. Shakib, a former captain, continued his good all-round performance in the tournament with figures of 2-39.
- Pakistan beat Bangladesh to win Asia Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh opt to field against Pakistan - Mar 22, 2012
- Scoreboard of India's innings against Bangladesh - Mar 16, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Bangladesh, 4th ODI, Asia Cup - Mar 16, 2012
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh put India in to bat - Mar 16, 2012
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh recall Mortaza, drop Tamim - Mar 06, 2012
- Bangladesh spoils Tendulkar's 100th international ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Pakistan stretched by Bangladesh in Asia Cup opener - Mar 12, 2012
- Bangladesh restrict Sri Lanka to 232 - Mar 20, 2012
- Bangladesh call-up Mortaza for national camp - Nov 17, 2011
- Tendulkar strikes record 100th international century (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Bangladesh reach maiden Asia Cup final, India knocked out (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Scoreboard of South Africa's innings against Bangladesh - Mar 19, 2011
- Scoreboard of India's innings against Bangladesh - Feb 19, 2011
- Bangladesh recalls Shahadat for Windies series - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: afridi, al hasan, asia cup, backfoot, batsman, bowlers, deep trouble, hammad, heroics, hossain, mirpur, mohammad hafeez, pakistan team, pakistanis, razzak, shakib, shere, spirited performance, wicket, wickets