ASEAN concludes Australia, New Zealand free trade talksAugust 28th, 2008 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Aug 28 (Xinhua) The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) has concluded a free trade deal with Australia and New Zealand following three years of talks, said a joint statement issued here Thursday. “The ministers welcomed the conclusion of the negotiations between Asean, Australia and New Zealand” for the free trade agreement (FTA), which started in March 2005, said the statement.
The 10-member bloc’s trade ministers met their counterparts from Australia and New Zealand Thursday, as part of the 40th Asean Economic Ministers Meeting now running for the third day in Singapore.
The comprehensive agreement covered trade in goods, investment, services, financial services, telecommunications, electronic commerce, movement of natural persons, intellectual property, competition policy and economic cooperation, it said.
The ministers saw the deal “as paving the way to enhancing the region’s economic integration and acting as an impetus to deepen and broaden the trade and investment among the 12 participating countries”, it added.
The deal is expected to be signed in December.
During the meeting, Australia and New Zealand also recognised Vietnam’s full market economy status.
Asean groups Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
- India, Asean trade to reach $70 bn in 3 years - Feb 22, 2011
- Free trade with Asean to open up bigger prospects - May 15, 2011
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- India, Asean to ink economic pact by year-end: Anand Sharma - Mar 02, 2011
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- India to negotiate free trade agreements with Indonesia, Thailand soon - Oct 28, 2010
- India to speed up trade talks with EU, Japan and Malaysia - Aug 25, 2010
- Close ASEAN cooperation urged to promote growth (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- Russia to be regular at ASEAN summits - Oct 30, 2010
- Economic downturn lends urgency to India-ASEAN partnership: Manmohan Singh - Nov 19, 2011
- Manmohan Singh heads home after 3-nation Asian tour - Oct 30, 2010
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
- Krishna, Clinton head to Thailand Tuesday for security meet - Jul 20, 2009