Artists express solidarity with Jamia varsity VCSeptember 25th, 2008 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 25 (IANS) Leadings personalities from the world of arts and theatre Thursday congratulated Mushirul Hasan, the vice chancellor of Jamia Milia Islamia University, for his strong stand in support of two of his students who were arrested for suspected involvement in the unravelling terror plot.A statement released by the Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust (Sahmat) said: “We fully endorse the decision by the vice chancellor, to provide the university students who have been swept up in the terrorism dragnet, with a competent legal defence.”
“This decision has to be recognised as a sign of abiding commitment to the basic rule of natural justice - that a person is innocent until proven guilty”.
Signed by veteran artists like Ram Rahman, theatre personality like M.K.Raina, Padma Bhushan awardee and historian Irfan Habib, the statement comes a day after Mushirul Hasan told media persons that the university would provide legal aid to the students - Mohammad Shakeel and Zia-ur-Rehman - who were arrested by police.
“We want to make it clear that like our predecessors have always done, we will provide legal aid to the two arrested students who are alleged to be terrorists. However, we will nor interfere with the judicial process,” Hasan said.
Rehman and Shakeel were arrested after the Friday’s shootout in Jamia Nagar during which the police said they gunned down two terrorists involved in the Sep 13 Delhi and July 26 Ahmedabad serial blasts.
Saying there was need to strengthen the secular character of the institution, the statement added: “We appeal all democratic and secular individuals and organisations to support all steps of the University administration and the faculty to maintain and strengthen the secular character of this premier institution”.
- Jamia university pledges legal aid to arrested students - Sep 24, 2008
- Jamia vice chancellor lashes out at media - Sep 24, 2008
- Failing health stops Jethmalani from defending Jamia students - Oct 07, 2008
- Competitions, calendar release on Husain's birth anniversary - Sep 16, 2011
- AMU teachers to defend Jamia students held for Delhi bombings - Oct 28, 2008
- Jamia Millia University to hold peace march - Sep 23, 2008
- Mushirul Hasan appointed DG of National Archives of India - May 14, 2010
- Jamia''s decision to support Delhi blasts accused gets Arjuns backing - Sep 26, 2008
- Jamia to continue with its minority status: High Court - May 18, 2011
- We need to invest in our youth: Yechury - Oct 29, 2011
- Retired judge to probe Jamia recruitment irregularities - May 05, 2010
- Turkish language course flavour at Jamia - Aug 05, 2012
- New Jamia VC to focus on infrastructure, not Batla House - Sep 04, 2009
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Jamia Millia open to students' union poll, court told - Jul 24, 2012