Art of Living launches Mission Green EarthOctober 3rd, 2008 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 3 (IANS) The Art of Living Friday launched Mission Green Earth, in collaboration with the United Nations Millennium Campaign (UNMC).The mission aims to help the country achieve Millennium Development Goals (MDG) by working against global warming.
“We should leave a better planet for the generations to come. This is the year when we really stand up and take action,” said Swami Sadyojathah of Art of Living.
The fight against environmental pollution is inclusive of issues like sanitation and deforestation.
Talking about sanitation, Lizette Burgers of UNICEF, who has been working for sanitation in India for the past four years, said: “I always feel that inside purity should reflect in outside purity and beauty,”
Von Hildebrand of World Health Organisation (WHO) supported her cause and said that sanitation is not only important to keep environment healthier, it is also important to protect our children from diseases.
To fight against deforestation, Art of Living has launched an initiative to plant 100 million saplings in a year.
Many of the city’s top schools like APJ School, Saket, Ramjas, Gyan Bharti and DPS, Mathura Road, are participating and partnering in the drive to plant trees.
The panellists also felt that it was time to put regulations against faulting nations to protect environment.
“Industrialised countries thought that we can throw our smoke in the air but now it is coming back to us. We really need to put legal actions against such acts. We are not in a position to let people do it by choice,” Hildebrand pointed out.
Most of the governments of the world pledged to achieve Millennium Development Goals by 2015 so that we have a better world and nobody lives in poverty anymore.
- Maternal mortality rate down by half in South Asia: UN - Jul 08, 2011
- Indian NGO to push sanitation goals in developing nations - Sep 17, 2012
- Of loss, and love for a 30,000-member 'green family' (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- 'Maternal health key to fighting poverty' - Sep 08, 2010
- Sanitation now on national agenda in India, says UNICEF representative - Apr 13, 2010
- Visually-challenged students plant saplings in Kolkata - Jun 06, 2012
- More cell phones in India than toilets: UN - Apr 15, 2010
- UNICEF cautions India over river pollution - Mar 22, 2010
- Sulabh to launch sanitation project in Uganda - Jan 16, 2012
- 24 percent Indian kids go hungry daily: Survey - Feb 15, 2012
- Total sanitation campaign being seen as 'token', says Ramesh - Feb 17, 2012
- India to accord high priority to prevention of non communicable diseases - Mar 16, 2011
- India needs to improve implementation of social schemes - Sep 15, 2010
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- 24 percent Indian kids go hungry: Survey (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012