Art of Living has presence in 150 countriesMay 31st, 2010 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 31 (IANS) The Art of Living, founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on whose life an attack was allegedly made Sunday evening at his ashram near the Karnataka capital, has a presence in 150 countries.
Born in Shimoga district in 1956, the spiritual guru was said to be a precocious child. At the age of four, he was reciting parts of the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna’s discourse at the war front to Arjun, the hero of epic Mahabharata. He was also interested in meditation.
In 1973, when he was 17 years old, he had graduated with degrees in both Vedic literature and physics.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar founded the art of Living in 1982, after a ten-day period of silence in 1981 during which he developed the Sudarshan Kriya, a breathing technique. Sudarshan Kriya is the centre-piece of Art of Living.
“The Sudarshan Kriya came like an inspiration. After I came out of the silence, I started teaching whatever I knew and people had great experiences,” the guru said about the technique.
He set up Art of Living as an international non-profit educational and humanitarian organisation. It has consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar set up the International Association for Human Values (IAHV) in 1997 to coordinate sustainable development projects, foster human values and coordinate conflict resolution in association with AoL.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is a frequent traveller, visiting around 40 countries a year on peace and relief missions. He been to conflict zones in Sri Lanka, Iraq, the Ivory Coast, Cameroon, and in countries hit by the 2004 tsunami.
- Thousands of Argentines turn up to hear Indian guru - Sep 06, 2012
- Argentines throng meditation session with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Sep 10, 2012
- Ravi Shankar asks NGOS to join effort against corruption - Dec 03, 2010
- Argentine youth seek peace through Indian guru - Sep 09, 2012
- Women from around the world to assess role of technology - Feb 02, 2012
- Ready to broker peace with Taliban: Sri Sri Ravi Shanker - Mar 19, 2012
- 1.25 million people to observe 'Yogathon' Saturday - Apr 06, 2012
- Spiritual leader Ravi Shankar to visit Pakistan - Mar 09, 2012
- A concert with 1,110 veenas! - Mar 29, 2012
- Land grab twist to Art of Living extortion calls (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Unite world's religions through spirituality: Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Sep 11, 2012
- Here comes Sri Sri to Goa - Sep 20, 2011
- Art of Living rejects allegation of land grabbing - Jul 06, 2010
- Firing not aimed at Sri Sri Ravi Shankar : Karnataka DGP - Jun 05, 2010
- 1,500 kids to be trained in life-skills by AoL - May 30, 2012
Tags: art of living, breathing technique, conflict resolution, consultative status, epic mahabharata, frequent traveller, humanitarian organisation, ivory coast, lord krishna, precocious child, ravi shankar, relief missions, spiritual guru, sri ravi shankar, sri sri ravi, sri sri ravi shankar, sudarshan kriya, sustainable development projects, vedic literature, war front