Art of Living foundation comes forward to fight povertyNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:26 am ICT by admin
Bangalore, Oct 18 (ANI): A five-kilometre long human chain formed symbolically to eradicate poverty is one more initiative by Guru Shri Shri Ravishankar at the Art of Living Center on the outskirts of Bangalore.
The spiritual Guru led the huge gathering on Wednesday to pledge to eradicate poverty from the planet.
“It was collective responsibility of humanity to drive away poverty which calls for a united effort in this direction,” said Ravishankar.
A joint initiative of Art of Living and United Nations Millennium Campaign (UNMC) will mobilise over four million people across the globe to support UNMC’s ‘Stand Up and Speak Out’ against poverty and for the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
A top official of the UNMC Minar Pimple who took part in this initiative said, “We were working together with Art of Living and confident of achieving the objective of the millennium goal.”
The idea behind the campaign is to remind world leaders of their promise of achieving the MDGs by 2015.
Art of Living will organise several public events in over 100 countries to take a pledge in support of the eradication of poverty.
Ravishankar believes that world leaders must keep the promises they made at the Millennium Summit in 2000. These promises, translated into the MDGs can only be achieved if we all participate and raise our voices against poverty and a peaceful world. (ANI)
- India needs to improve implementation of social schemes - Sep 15, 2010
- UN millennium campaign creates Guinness record - Oct 22, 2009
- Six Indians get UN online volunteering award - Dec 03, 2010
- UN starts campaign to eradicate poverty in India - Sep 30, 2009
- Delhi concert to urge action on millennium goals - Sep 16, 2010
- Citizen actions, local governance needed for MDGs - Apr 14, 2010
- India to raise economic crisis at UN, seek inclusive growth - Sep 17, 2011
- EU, India to solve migration issues - Dec 10, 2010
- Urgent action needed to achieve health goals: President Patil - Nov 13, 2010
- Asia-Pacific unlikely to meet hunger, child mortality goals - Feb 17, 2012
- Brazilian star Marta's message of women's power in World Cup - Jun 28, 2011
- Antonio Banderas to judge UNDP photo contest - May 18, 2010
- Decentralisation of power key to fighting poverty: Aiyar - Sep 13, 2010
- IT, communications powerful development tools: Sibal - May 16, 2011
- Holmes to become Hilfiger ambassador - Apr 19, 2012