Art auction to raise money for underprivileged childrenJanuary 19th, 2009 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) Celebrities come together with artists to produce joints works of art to be auctioned and the money given to a charity - that is what India On Canvas 2009 is all about.In its second year, the annual event remains fundraiser for the NGO Khushii that takes care of underprivileged kids.
“India on Canvas has been a successful endeavour for us and we hope to create the same magic this year as well,” Khushii’s general secretary Harveen Kapoor said.
“General awareness towards art has immensely grown over the past few years and people of all age groups have become collectors. This makes us more enthusiastic,” she added.
One of Khushii’s patrons Tarana Sawhney had organised the first event.
“I know so many people who want to give back to society and do not know how, so this event is just to increase awareness about this campaign so that people contribute towards this good cause,” Sawhney told IANS Monday.
This year artists like Ranbir Kaleka, Akbar Padamsee, Jaideep Mehrotra, Yusuf Arakkal and Sacha Jafri have collaborated with celebrities like A.R. Rahman, Neetu Singh and Rishi Kapoor, Ekta Kapoor, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Brian Lara and many more.
The auction will take place Feb 6 at the Malaysian High Commissioner’s residence.
Apart from this, there is also a diamond set by designer Rakesh Khanna that will be given to the winner of a lucky draw.
To be eligible for the lucky draw, one has to buy a raffle ticket costing Rs.10,000. There are 500 raffle tickets available. The money raised from sale of these tickets will also go to the charity.
- Delhi art lovers rally at Christie's charity auction - Feb 07, 2009
- FDCI teams up with Khushii for social cause - Mar 12, 2010
- Painted auto-rickshaws to be auctioned at Fashion Week (Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- Yusuf Arakkal: Portrait of artist and his haunting, taunting faces - Feb 03, 2011
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
- Contemporary masters on paper in Saffronart auction - Jul 05, 2011
- Canvas with just a date up for 60,000 pounds - Sep 30, 2011
- Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby's Asian art sale - Feb 18, 2011
- 65 years on, young artists spearhead Indian creativity - Aug 14, 2011
- Oregon Lottery Turns Two People Into Millionaires - Nov 24, 2010
- Saffronart summer sale to focus on modern masters (With Images) - Jun 13, 2010
- Buy luxury items at auction, raise funds for girl child - Nov 16, 2010
- Student hangs his own painting in museum - Jan 05, 2012
- Sobha Singh's painting goes for auction at Sotheby's (With images) - Feb 25, 2011