Arsene fears more players will leave ArsenalSeptember 24th, 2011 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 24 (IANS) Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger fears that more players would leave the club, like Cesc Fábregas and Samir Nasri, because the club cannot match the salaries on offer elsewhere.
Arsenal are negotiating contracts with Theo Walcott, Alex Song and Robin van Persie but Wenger cannot guarantee whether he will be able to persuade them to stay.
“The gap on that front has become bigger for us so I cannot today say that if we go to the maximum we are sure to sign a player - even if we do that we are not sure. We will try, but we tried before (with Fábregas and Nasri),” Wenger was quoted as saying by The Guardian.
Wenger said it was difficult to persuade star players that a promised land does not exist elsewhere.
“We try to convince them,” he said. “Our desire is there to do it and we are ready to sit down with them but after we see where we go.”
Song have two years remaining while Van Persie, Vermaelen and Walcott will have only a year left to run, alongside Andrey Arshavin.
“I always said that Cesc is a bargain. With Nasri at least we got a reasonable price (25million pounds) for a player with one year to go. With Cesc we were forced into a situation because for me he is one of the best midfielders in the world and we knew that we would sell him under what he’s worth (potentially £35m;),” he said.
- Wenger says gamble on Arshavin paid off in amazing style in historic defeat of Barca - Feb 17, 2011
- Van Persie likely to miss friendly match - Feb 29, 2012
- Arsenal has no plans to part with Fabregas, Wilshere: Wenger - Apr 24, 2011
- Keep distance from Van Persie, Wenger tells Manchester City - Oct 01, 2011
- Mourinho jibes Wenger over Arsenal's protracted trophy drought - Nov 27, 2010
- Arsenal's van Persie out for six weeks with knee injury - Mar 02, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Wenger jealous of United's FA Cup exit - Jan 04, 2010
- Arsenal only club developing young players: Wenger - Feb 24, 2009
- Arsenal don't have the firepower to win any title, says Arshavin - Mar 24, 2010
- Nasri is the new Thierry Henry: Wenger - Dec 08, 2010
- Lifting Carling Cup would end doubts about Arsenal, says Wenger - Feb 26, 2011
- Arsenal ready to sell skipper Fabregas for 35-mn pounds - Apr 27, 2011