Arsenal’s new CEO warns manager against missing top League slotFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 22 (IANS) After losing their third successive match in the English Premier League, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been warned by the club’s new chief executive Ivan Gazidis that finishing outside the top four will be considered as a failure.
“Finishing outside the top four will be a disappointment for this club. The club wants to be one of the best in the world and it’s impossible to achieve that goal if you’re not in the Champions League. We are all disappointed that we’re currently in fifth - we’ll continue to fight until the last kick of the season,” Gasifies was quoted as saying by the Mirror.
“The difference between real success and failure for us this year is going to be very, very small.”
Arsenal still have games in hand against Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United before the season ends.
Despite the warnings, Gasifies expressed his supports for Wenger and said: “Arsene is a fantastic manager,” he continued. “Probably the best in the world - certainly one of them. He has always shown loyalty to the club, he’s under a long term contract and I hope we will be in a position to extend it.”
He also rubbished rumours of Wenger’s move to Real Madrid after the season.
“I can’t imagine any reason that Arsene would want to leave - I think he’s happy at the club. We expect to progress in the Champions League and contend for that trophy, and we expect to qualify for the Champions League next season. The next four to six weeks will be important in defining our season,” Gazidis said.
- Arsenal ready to sell skipper Fabregas for 35-mn pounds - Apr 27, 2011
- Allow me to join Barcelona, Fabregas tells Wenger - Jul 18, 2011
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Arsenal's second place in Premier League 'not a disaster': Wenger - Apr 09, 2011
- French striker Olivier Giroud joins Arsenal - Jun 26, 2012
- Arsenal boss told to win a trophy as second or third isn't good enough - Oct 11, 2009
- Lifting Carling Cup would end doubts about Arsenal, says Wenger - Feb 26, 2011
- 'Top-level consistency' will lead Arsenal to Premier League glory: Wenger - Jan 01, 2011
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Henry offered two-month contract by Arsenal - Dec 29, 2011
- Mourinho jibes Wenger over Arsenal's protracted trophy drought - Nov 27, 2010
- Guardiola humbled by praise from colleagues - May 01, 2012
- Arsenal ready to go to war with Barcelona over Fabregas - Feb 09, 2010
- Arsenal's failure to win Premier League can end my reign: Wenger - Aug 15, 2010