Arrest warrants sought against 35 accused in Mumbai blasts caseMay 4th, 2009 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 4 (IANS) The prosecutors in the Mumbai terror attacks case Monday filed an application seeking non-bailable arrest warrants (NBWs) against all the 35 accused in the 26/11 case, most of whom are believed to be in Pakistan.
Besides Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab and two Lashkar-e-Tayiba activists Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Mohammed, who have been arrested, the names of the 35 other accused figure in the 11,500-page charge sheet filed by Mumbai Police in the case.
Making a strong plea, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that the police have gathered solid evidence against all the 35 accused-absconders in the 26/11 case to merit issuance of NBWs.
Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani has reserved his orders in the matter till Wednesday.
Later, Nikam told mediapersons that since all the arguments prior to framing the charges were completed Monday, he plans to file the charges against all the accused from Wednesday (May 6).
Nikam said among the serious charges against all the accused is the one pertaining to “waging a war on India” which was opposed by the defence lawyers.
Kasab’s lawyer S.G. Abbas Kazmi argued that this charge was not applicable to the accused and he would contest it later.
“First, let the prosecution file the charges against the accused, then we shall respond,” he remarked, when asked whether he would seek discharge for his client from the charge of “waging a war against India.”
Nikam also said that the prosecution will send the certified copies of Kasab’s confession and other relevant documents to Pakistan.
“This will enable them to take up cases against the persons they have arrested in connection with the Mumbai 26/11 case,” he explained.
The matter will come up for hearing Wednesday in the special court.
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Death for Kasab is victory of justice, says Ujjwal Nikam - Feb 21, 2011
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Verdict May 3 on Kasab, co-accused in 26/11 case (Lead) - Mar 31, 2010
- Hafiz Saeed's release won't affect 26/11 trial: prosecutor - Jun 02, 2009
- Final arguments in Mumbai terror trial begins Tuesday - Mar 07, 2010
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- All set for 26/11 trial verdict - May 03, 2010
- 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- First phase of 26/11 trial may end Thursday - Dec 07, 2009
- Its crystal clear who masterminded 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks: Sonia Gandhi - Nov 02, 2010