Arrest Ansal brothers for Uphaar tragedy: Supreme CourtAugust 22nd, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to arrest real-estate tycoons, the Ansal brothers, for lapses that led to Uphaar theatre fire tragedy in which 59 people died.A bench of acting Chief Justice B.N. Agrawal ordered CBI to arrest Gopal Ansal and Sushil Ansal without delay as per the apex court’s order last week.
The tragedy claimed 59 lives, while over 100 people were injured during the maiden show of the Hindi film “Border” on June 13, 1997 in the Uphaar theatre in south Delhi.
The Supreme Court last week had issued non-bailable warrants against Gopal and Sushil Ansal on a plea by Neelam Krishnamurthy that the two were delaying the disposal of their appeal by the Delhi High Court against their conviction while remaining outside the jail on bail.
The trial court had convicted the two brothers along with several others Nov 20, 2007.
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Ansal brothers arrested, granted bail by CBI - Aug 27, 2008
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Apex court told of Ansals' arrest and release on bail - Aug 29, 2008
- Apex court ticks off CBI for not acting on Ansal arrest warrants (Lead) - Aug 22, 2008
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: Apex court reduces compensation for victims - Oct 13, 2011
- Supreme Court issues arrest warrants against Ansal brothers - Aug 13, 2008
- Stay in jail, apex court tells Ansals - Jan 15, 2009
- Apex court orders jail for Ansals (Lead) - Sep 10, 2008
- 12 years after Uphaar tragedy, victims' families fight on - Jun 13, 2009
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- 12 years on, families of Uphaar victims say justice not done - Jun 12, 2009