Around 65 percent turnout as voting ends in Assam (Fourth Lead)April 11th, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 11 (IANS) Voting ended peacefully in the second and final phase of elections in 64 of the 126 assembly constituencies in Assam Monday with an estimated 65-70 percent polling recorded, officials said.
“This was by far one of the best elections with heavy to moderate polling recorded in most of the seats with preliminary reports indicating about 65 percent or more turnout recorded,” an election official said.
Voting ended at 3 p.m., although voting would continue in some polling stations where people were still lined up.
“The final polling percentage could be high as we are still compiling figures from remote locations,” the official said.
The fate of 496 candidates was sealed in Monday’s vote.
The first phase April 11 had 485 candidates with an estimated 73 percent polling recorded in 62 assembly seats.
The results will be declared May 13.
“We are confident of coming back to power for the third straight term as people voted us for good governance, stability, and peace,” Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said.
The opposition too is optimistic that this election would help bring in change.
“People of Assam gave a vote for change and we are confident of winning the polls,” Chandra Mohan Patowary, president of Assam’s main opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP), said.
Among the prominent candidates whose fate were sealed in Monday’s vote are Chandra Mohan Patowary, AGP president, two-time former chief minister and AGP senior Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, Congress ministers Himanta Biswa Sarma and Rockybul Hussain, besides at least 41 women candidates.
- Polling begins for second phase of Assam elections - Apr 11, 2011
- Moderate to heavy polling in Assam (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Voting continues peacefully in Assam (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Second phase polling underway in Assam (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Assam all set for final phase polling Monday - Apr 09, 2011
- Brisk polling in Assam - Apr 11, 2011
- Polling underway for second phase of Assam elections - Apr 11, 2011
- 70 percent turnout in second phase of Assam elections - Apr 11, 2011
- Stage set for Assam first phase elections (Poll Curtain Raiser) - Apr 03, 2011
- Assam polls: Violence reported from Rangiya - Apr 11, 2011
- Congress juggernaut decimates AGP, BJP in Assam (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Election 2011 begins peacefully with Assam, 66 percent turnout (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- Congress wins absolute majority in Assam (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- 70 percent polling recorded in Assam (Fourth Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- AGP blames machine manipulation for defeat - May 13, 2011
Tags: agp, assam, assembly constituencies, assembly seats, chandra mohan, chief minister, congress, election official, elections, fate, final phase, gogoi, good governance, himanta biswa sarma, mahanta, opposition, peace chief, polling stations, tarun, vote for change