Around 100 stray dogs caught from Games Village, other venuesSeptember 24th, 2010 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Around 100 stray dogs have been rounded up from the Commonwealth Games Village and other Games venues by the capital’s civic authority in coordination with an NGO, an official said Friday.
The stray dogs were having a free run of the Village and other areas, raising concerns among participating countries. They were rounded up by the the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) and Friendicoes SECA (Society for the Eradication of Cruelty to Animals) and temporarily relocated to a dog sterilization centre at Ghazipur. Similar drives are being carried out in all the 17 Games venues.
Gautam Barat, co-founder Friendicoes, which has volunteered for the cause with MCD, told IANS: “The rounded up stray dogs will be released in the same venue after the Games are over. Till then they will be kept in the Ghazipur sterilization centre.”
Following complaints that dogs were straying into the Games Village complex, the drive was carried out by the civic body’s veterinary department since Thursday. Two ambulances with six dog catchers are going around the venue to round up the dogs.
“The task was voluntarily taken up by Friendicoes. As an animal welfare organisation, we want to ensure that captured dogs are not harmed in the name of the Games. They will be maintained in a proper manner till the Games are over,” Barat added.
Once taken to the Ghazipur sterilization centre, each dog will be given a token with details of the area from where it was picked up. This will help the civic authorities to later release the canines at their previous locations.
According to MCD sources, there are over 280,000 stray dogs in Delhi. The national capital reports some 15-20 dog bites every day, the sources added.
- Dogs' day out in Delhi, sterilisation in a fix - Aug 02, 2010
- 'Civic bodies moving dogs to undisclosed locations' - Oct 06, 2010
- MCD takes up sanitation work in Games Village, venues - Sep 29, 2010
- Srinagar's 'dogged' problem giving nightmares - Feb 13, 2011
- Lucknow's civic body gnashes teeth against stray dogs - Aug 26, 2010
- MCD to set up veterinary hub - Dec 08, 2010
- Don't use animals in campaigning, says Maharashtra poll panel - Dec 23, 2011
- Debasree Roy toils to make Kolkata a better place for stray animals - Aug 28, 2010
- Security goes to the dogs this I-Day - Aug 12, 2011
- Police prevent novel anti-stray dogs protest in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2012
- Hundred dog bites a day and counting in Srinagar - Apr 11, 2012
- Ukraine minister calls for end to stray animals' killing - Nov 18, 2011
- Guwahati NGO designs mobile kennel to rehabilitate stray dogs - Jun 06, 2010
- Himachal Pradesh launches monkey sterilization drive to curb its population - Feb 06, 2011
- Gurgaon ropes in NGOs to sterilise stray dogs - Aug 28, 2009
Tags: ambulances, animal welfare organisation, canines, civic authorities, civic body, co founder, commonwealth games, cruelty to animals, dog catchers, eradication, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, ngo, proper manner, seca, sterilization, stray dogs, token, veterinary department