Aroma of food and external factors can influence tasteSeptember 12th, 2008 - 9:30 am ICT by IANS
Bad Mergentheim (Germany), Sep 12 (DPA) Whether a dish tastes good depends not only on its ingredients and preparation, but also on other external factors.”If the dish is too warm for the person eating it or if it has an aroma that he can’t stand, it tastes different,” said Juergen Dollase of Germany’s culinary academy in Bad Mergentheim near Wuerzburg.
Whether the food tastes good also depends on its aroma, consistency and how it looks.
“If its appearance isn’t pleasing or the food smells badly, it’s difficult,” said Dollase. The taste of the various ingredients of a dish intermingle in the mouth. “We perceive as pleasant things that are similar in texture and aroma,” he said.
This applies to simple dishes such as meatballs with mashed potatoes and to gourmet French cuisine.
The temperature of a dish also is important. If something is much too hot or cold, the person eating it has a problem identifying the flavours.
“Ideally, the flavours are perceptible when the food is at body temperature,” said Dollase.
- Qatar Airways ropes in two-star Michlen chef Vineet Bhatia (With Images) - Sep 18, 2012
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- 350-kg 'bharta' to oppose Bt brinjal - Sep 06, 2011
- Knives are out: Cut and taste co-related - Mar 22, 2012
- Indian cuisine is next main food fashion: Michelin chefs - Sep 20, 2012
- Roll Mexican 'roti' with Peruvian fish in Indian kitchen (Eating out with IANS) - Jun 22, 2010
- Fat can affect brain's perception of flavour: Study - Jul 22, 2012
- China chaat, pomfret roast rock Chittaranjan Park's food platter - Oct 04, 2011
- Top food trends in 2011: Pies, gourmet hot dogs, high-end dining at airport - Jan 04, 2011
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- This British chef pairs gourmet food with health, nutrition (Feature with pics) - Mar 25, 2012
- Soy snacks for malnourished Indian kids - Oct 20, 2010
- Onam spread of spicy dishes goes online - Aug 20, 2010
- No more 'chicken without sex life' in Beijing - Mar 14, 2012
- Indian cuisines coexist, promote tolerance: Australian restaurateur - Nov 16, 2011