Army soldier, policeman arrested in Goa with heroinDecember 5th, 2008 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 5 (IANS) An army soldier and a police constable were arrested here Friday for peddling heroin, the police said.Superintendent of Police V.V. Chaudhury told IANS that the army soldier has been identified as Vasu Babu Gaonkar and the other involved in the case is police constable Kalidas Shetye.
A total of 750 gm of heroin was found in their possession.
Gaonkar was posted in Jammu and Kashmir and was attached to the 18 Madras Regiment.
“Gaonkar is a native of Goa and had brought the heroin from Kashmir to be sold in Goa,” Chaudhury said.
Chaudhury said that Shetye was formerly attached to the Calangute police station, which oversees the coastal areas of Calangute, Sinquerim, Candolim and Baga, notorious for narco-tourism.
“Both accused have been remanded to seven days in police custody,” said Police Inspector Ashish Shirodkar, who conducted the searches.
“We are interrogating the army soldier for his role in procuring the contraband from a sensitive area like Jammu and Kashmir,” he added.
- Arrested soldier claims to source heroin from J&K - Dec 06, 2008
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- 'Deport foreigners tending Goa bars sans work visas' - Jul 25, 2012
- Goa police do flip-flop in drug dealers assault case - May 26, 2010
- Lara-Mahesh wedding: Time to highlight Goa's disappeared beach - Feb 18, 2011
- Cop beaten up by suspected drug dealers in Goa - May 25, 2010
- Two Kyrgyzis running online escort, drug racket arrested - Jun 23, 2012
- Court asks Goa to remove beached vessel by next monsoon - Sep 08, 2010
- British travel advisory on theft, drugs in Goa - Jun 26, 2012
- Indian Army arrests Pakistani soldier in Jammu - Jul 12, 2012
- Cargo vessel runs aground, being towed away - Jun 04, 2011
- Tourists not co-operating in molestation case: Goa Police - Jun 13, 2011
- Central forces to guard Goa during tourist season - Dec 06, 2011
- Sex workers rescued from Goa nightclub - Dec 05, 2011