Army rescues two Austrian trekkersAugust 12th, 2010 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 12 (IANS) Two Austrian nationals who had gone for trekking in Ladakh but were stranded after meeting with an accident were rescued by the Indian army from the cold desert area.
“The Austrian embassy in Delhi made a request to the army to evacuate some of their nationals who had got stranded at Khalsi,” a defence spokesperson said.
The troops using army aviation helicopters rescued the two Austrians Wednesday evening.
The spokesperson said: “It was learnt that Benno Wiesenberger and Gudrun Sonderegger of Austria were on a trekking trip in the area of Lamayuru. During the trek, both were injured and one was diagnosed with suspected spinal injury.”
Since the army hospital at Khalsi did not have a provision to treat spinal injuries, the foreigners were shifted to Military Hospital in Leh town.
“Later, the Austrian Ambassador to India personally spoke on phone to the army authorities at Leh and thanked them for the timely evacuation of his country’s citizens,” he said.
- Rescue operations intensified in Leh, 151 foreigners relocated (Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- Leh toll 167, five foreigners among dead (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- Army rescues over 170 foreign tourists in Ladakh - Aug 13, 2010
- Forget Kashmiri politics: Natural disasters need prompt attention - Aug 12, 2010
- Leh toll 145, cloudburst in Kargil town (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- IAF rescues 61 people in Ladakh region - Mar 02, 2012
- Rescue efforts continue in Leh, 500 still missing - Aug 09, 2010
- IAF airlifts 313 stranded passengers between Leh and Srinagar - Feb 07, 2012
- 400 trapped civilians rescued in J&K; - Jun 09, 2012
- Leh toll rises to 165, 81 foreigners rescued - Aug 10, 2010
- IAF rushes to evacuate snow-trapped in Jammu - Jan 27, 2012
- Leh death toll 117, Azad arrives with medical team (Lead) - Aug 07, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi, Pallam Raju visit flood-affected Leh - Aug 16, 2010
- Army, IAF bring succour to devastated Leh - Aug 07, 2010
- Two more IAF planes in rescue mission in Leh - Aug 08, 2010