Army moots permanent commission for women officersMay 13th, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by admin
Chandigarh, May 13 (IANS) Faced with a shortfall of 12,000 officers in the army, the central government considers giving permanent commission to women officers in various non-combat streams of the armed forces. “The union government and the defence ministry have mooted an ambitious plan to make up for the deficiency of officers in the army with a view to ensure the better future of the youth. The government is also considering providing permanent commission to women in various streams in the army,” Union Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju told media-persons at Panchkula near here Tuesday.
Raju said there was a shortage of 12,000 officers and efforts were on to fill the gap by making the terms and conditions of short service commission more attractive.
He said hard duties could not be given to women officers and they would be appointed in Judge Advocate General (JAG) branch and training institutes by giving them permanent commission.
Raju ruled out setting up a separate pay commission for the defence services. “Justice would be done to the defence personnel while implementing the recommendations of the 6th pay commission,” he said.
- Court questions government on discouraging woman army officers - Mar 26, 2012
- Armed forces considering greater role for women officers: Antony - Jun 10, 2011
- Women in combat roles in armed forces: Wait gets longer - May 21, 2012
- (VM) Indian Air Force ahead with over 10 percent women officers - Aug 22, 2012
- Permanent Commission for women in Army - Aug 02, 2010
- Permanent commissions for women: Notice issued to Indian Army chief - Jul 05, 2010
- Government clarifies on women army officers' promotion - Nov 02, 2011
- Court seeks answers on permanent service for women army officers - Oct 04, 2010
- 'Permanent commissions for women only in select branches' - Nov 23, 2011
- Court orders permanent commissions for three IAF women officers - Mar 13, 2012
- IAF grants permanent commissions to 22 women officers (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Permanent commission for women being mulled: Indian Army - Aug 02, 2010
- Army to give permanent commission to women in two months (Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- Army to give permanent commission to women in two months (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- Army considering women officers' promotion. court told (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011