Army helping youths in Kashmir hone cricket skillsMay 15th, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 15 (IANS) The army is helping Kashmiri sportsmen to hone their cricketing talents by organising the inter-district Kashmir Premier League (KPL) in the valley.
“It is the endeavour of the army and the state police to encourage the local youths to hone their sportsman skills,” said Major General Sarath, General Officer Commanding (GOC) of a counter-insurgency force here.
“There is tremendous interest among the local youths for cricket and it is for this reason that we are organising the inter-district Kashmir Premier League,” he said.
“I am sure this will benefit the local players who have enough talent and interest to compete at the national and international levels for the game.”
Tuesday’s KPL function held in Narbal town, 15 km to the north from here, was also attended by Dr. S.P. Vaid, additional director general of police (ADG).
“It is a sea-change when we compare the situation that we see today with the one here a few years back. The purpose of this KPL is to encourage the local youths for national and international events,” Vaid said.
“We want Kashmir to produce cricket stars like Sachin Tendulkar and Imran Khan,” he added.
There was an unpleasant incident during one of the KPL fixtures in Kashmir University where a scuffle occurred between the university guards and the players Monday.
An armed guard of the university fired shots in the air after the altercation with the players.
“The constable has been placed under suspension. An enquiry has been ordered and you will soon see that the guilty is punished,” said Vaid.
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Army organises Jammu Premier League for budding cricketers - May 09, 2012
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Mohun Bagan to play in Jammu - Aug 28, 2012
- Peace winds blow in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2011
- Chinar Corps celebrates 96th raising day - Jan 12, 2012
- Bangladesh cricket develops on Australian model - Mar 21, 2011
- Indian Army organizes career counselling session for Kashmiri youth - Jan 11, 2011
- Yuvraj launches his cricket academy - Aug 23, 2011
- India needs good football pitches: British expert - Dec 31, 2011
- In IPL season, Chandigarh to play gully cricket - Apr 02, 2012
- Jharkhand Premier League cricket matches begin - Mar 13, 2011
- Call for Jammu shutdown Friday over bill on district jobs - Apr 08, 2010
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: altercation, armed guard, constable, counter insurgency, cricket stars, endeavour, enquiry, goc, hone, imran khan, inter district, kashmir, kpl, local players, premier league, sachin tendulkar, sea change, sportsman, sportsmen, state police