Army gives up search for body of drowned Bangalore boyJune 12th, 2009 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 12 (IANS) The army Friday called off its four-day search for the body of a six-year-old boy who drowned here May 31 after falling into into an uncovered drain that was flooded with rainwater.
“After four days of relentless efforts to de-weed the Hennur lake in a bid to search for the body of Abhishek, the six year old boy who went missing in a drain in Lingarajpuram 12 days ago, the Army has decided to call off their operations on Friday evening. Unfortunately, the body of the boy could not be found,” the army said in a statement.
A 60-member team of the Madras Engineering Group (MEG) Tuesday began the search operation to retrieve the body of Abhishek Prakash, who slipped into the drain while walking with his mother at Lingarajapuram in north Bangalore.
The army’s help was sought by Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (Greater Bangalore city corporation) after its men failed to recover the body.
Abhishek was the only son of Bharathi and Prakash, a security guard in a private firm. He has an elder sister Vidya. The state government has given Rs. 100,000 as compensation to the family.
- Army to search for Bangalore boy who drowned - Jun 08, 2009
- 18-month-old washed away as heavy rains lash Bangalore - Sep 16, 2009
- All hopes lost, search for drowned Bangalore boy called off - Sep 18, 2009
- Bangalore administration urged to involve people - Sep 05, 2012
- Search on for body of drowned Bangalore boy - Sep 17, 2009
- Wet weekend for Bangalore after Friday night deluge - Apr 23, 2011
- JD-S corporator shot dead in Bangalore - Jan 16, 2011
- Opt for eco-friendly Ganesh idols, Bangaloreans urged - Sep 08, 2010
- Congress corporator hacked to death in Bangalore - Oct 01, 2011
- Karnataka's ex-minister, son jailed in graft case - Aug 08, 2011
- 30 Bangalore school kids caught smoking 'hookah' in club - Mar 05, 2012
- A showpiece city struggles to remain clean (Karnataka Newsletter) - Sep 17, 2012
- Garbage-free Bangalore by Monday, promise authorities - Sep 02, 2012
- Bangalore civic body caught in Rs.15 bn scandal - Dec 04, 2011
- Bangalore fast tracks rain harvesting after Friday deluge - Apr 25, 2011