Army gearing up for ‘dirty bomb’ warfareJanuary 14th, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) The prospect of a terrorist laying hands on nuclear weapons is a global worry and India is also gearing up for this “fourth generation warfare”, Indian Army chief Deepak Kapoor said here Wednesday.“It is very much a part of our thought process and we call it fourth generation warfare or the dirty bomb,” Kapoor told reporters during a conference organised ahead of the 61st Army Day.
“This is the new dimension added to the policy of the Indian Army apart from the counter insurgency and anti-terrorism operations,” Kapoor added.
The army chief also hoped that Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal was in safe hands.
“I suppose there is a degree of stability and this (Pakistan nuclear weapons falling in the hands of terrorists) does not happen. I hope their (Pakistan’s) weapons are as secure as of any other country,” Kapoor lamented.
- Pakistan's nuclear assets well protected: Indian official - Feb 10, 2011
- Terror threat to Pakistani nukes a major concern: Antony - Jun 10, 2011
- Officials firm up agenda for nuclear summit in Seoul - Jan 16, 2012
- Nuclear weapons not for war: Indian Army chief - Jan 15, 2012
- Violent response in case of n-attack: IAF chief - Jul 26, 2011
- Indian sub-continent is prone to nuclear war: Army Chief - Nov 23, 2009
- Pakistan's bomb has prevented war with India: A Q Khan - Sep 03, 2010
- India vows violent response in case of n-attack (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Army chief asks world community to put pressure on Pakistan - May 29, 2009
- Army chief confirms Pakistan fortifications along the border - Dec 16, 2009
- Special Forces modernisation keeping in view Taliban menace: Army Chief - Oct 30, 2009
- WikiLeaks: Diplomats fear Pakistan's nukes may fall into terrorist hands - Dec 01, 2010
- Increase in Pakistan's nuclear arsenal worrisome: Indian Army chief - May 29, 2009
- Nuclear Security Summit begins Monday, but thats hardly the issue - Apr 12, 2010
- Pakistan should have total control over its nuke weapons: Army chief - Nov 29, 2009