Army denies reports of 12 militants killed in AssamMay 10th, 2008 - 4:54 pm ICT by admin
Guwahati, May 10 (IANS) Army authorities have denied reports in the media about the death of 12 tribal separatists in Assam in a shootout Saturday, officials said. Local television channels and agencies reported that 12 militants of the Jewel Gorlosa faction of the outlawed Dima Halam Daoga (DHD), popularly known as the Black Widow, were killed in an encounter with soldiers in Assam’s North Cachar Hills district.
“There was an encounter no doubt, but we have absolutely no reports of any casualties or bodies of militants being recovered so far although some news agencies and television channels did report about 12 Black Widow rebels killed,” army spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia told IANS by telephone from the Four Corps headquarters in Tezpur in northern Assam.
The army official said there was exchange of fire between militants and an army column near Harailo village, about 280 km south of Guwahati.
“Militants fired at the soldiers and there was a firefight although we do not know of any casualties,” the army spokesman said.
The Black Widow is a rebel group fighting for an independent homeland for the Dimasa tribe in the region.
A splinter faction of the DHD is currently on a ceasefire with New Delhi and is holding peace talks.
- Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: Chidambaram - Jan 24, 2012
- Militants gun down ten railway workers in Assam - May 11, 2008
- Arrest of 'Black Widow' enlivens hopes of peace in North Cachar Hills - Jun 14, 2009
- DNRF militant nabbed in Assam - Mar 21, 2012
- Black Widow surrenders weapons in Assam - Sep 16, 2009
- Five tribals killed, village torched in Assam - Jun 03, 2009
- Shut-down in Assam's North Cachar Hills District - Apr 12, 2009
- Tribal militants gun down 12 Assam villagers in attack - Jun 16, 2009
- Ceasefire agreements with Assam rebel groups extended - Jan 18, 2012
- Assam rebel group surrenders in Manipur (With Images) - Sep 30, 2009
- Seven killed in ambush by militants in Assam - Apr 20, 2009
- Tribal separatists storm Assam jail, free 3 comrades - Dec 11, 2008
- 40 houses of tribals torched in southern Assam - Jun 09, 2009
- One killed as militants attack passenger train in Assam - Apr 10, 2009
- Railway construction work hit as rebels strike in Assam - May 13, 2008