Army chief warns of terrorist designsAugust 10th, 2011 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 10 (IANS) Indian Army chief Gen. V.K. Singh Wednesday warned that terrorists retained the ability to calibrate the level of violence in Jammu and Kashmir despite suffering severe setbacks.
He also urged the troops to ensure zero human rights violations.
Gen. Singh was addressing soldiers posted along the Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri and Poonch districts in the south of Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas.
He is on a two-day visit of Jammu region to review the security situation along the LoC, which divides Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
A defence spokesperson quoted Gen. Singh as telling the soldiers: “Though the terrorists have taken a severe beating in the region over the last few years and their morale is at the lowest ebb, yet the terrorists still retain the capability to calibrate the level of violence.”
He urged the troops to raise the level of vigil in the state.
“We need to remain alert and not fall prey to nefarious designs of the terrorists. Our duty is not only to combat terrorism but to ensure the safety of local population during the conduct of operations,” he said.
The army chief reiterated the need to ensure zero human rights violation.
- Army chief reviews Jammu security - Mar 16, 2012
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Defence, home ministries to decide on AFSPA: Army - Jan 15, 2012
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Pakistani caught while crossing LoC - Apr 09, 2012
- Indian Army chief visits forward areas in Kashmir - Apr 22, 2010
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- No infiltration from across LoC this year: Indian Army - Jul 16, 2011
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- 'China increasing presence in Pakistani Kashmir' - Dec 27, 2011
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: army chief, capability, defence spokesperson, himalayas, human rights violation, human rights violations, india and pakistan, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, loc, lowest ebb, pir panjal range, poonch, prey, security situation, setbacks, terrorists, vigil, violence