Army chief visits SrinagarMarch 28th, 2012 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 28 (IANS) The Indian Army chief, General V.K. Singh, was briefed Wednesday on the security situation in the Kashmir Valley when he visited the headquarters of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps in the Badami Bagh cantonment.
Accompanied by his wife, Bharti Singh, Gen.Singh arrived in Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday on a two-day visit.
The army chief was received at 15 Corps headquarters by Northern Command chief, Lt. Gen. K.T Parnaik and Lt. Gen. S.A. Hasnain, the 15 Corps commander.
“General V.K. Singh visited the Chinar Corps headquarters where he was briefed in detail about the operational preparedness of the corps on the Line of Control and also about the prevailing security scenario in the Kashmir Valley,” an army spokesperson said in a statement.
“The COAS interacted with officers and all ranks of Chinar corps and complimented them for their outstanding vigilance, state of preparedness and maintenance of high moral values and principles which are associated with the army.
“The chief was appreciative of the initiatives under taken by the northern command and in particular the Chinar corps which have led to a peaceful environment in the Valley”, the statement added.
Gen. Singh is scheduled to hand over command of the world’s second largest professional army to Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh when he retires May 31.
- Army chief visits forward areas, reviews Kashmir situation - Mar 21, 2011
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
- Chinar Corps celebrates 96th raising day - Jan 12, 2012
- Army in Kashmir pays tribute to martyrs on Vijay Diwas - Dec 16, 2011
- Army chief witnesses exercise in Ladakh - Apr 20, 2011
- Defence secretary visits LOC in Kashmir - Sep 05, 2011
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
- Army chief reviews Kashmir border security - Feb 09, 2012
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- US senator meets Kashmir governor, chief minister - Aug 17, 2011
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- Army chief visits Northern Command - May 23, 2012
- McCain's visit sparks debate in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2011
- LOC fencing extensively damaged by heavy snowfall, says commander - Feb 25, 2012
- Army chief on first visit to Ladakh - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: army spokesperson, badami bagh, bikram singh, cantonment, chief general, chinar, command chief, commander general, corps commander, corps headquarters, hasnain, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, moral values, peaceful environment, professional army, security situation, vigilance state