Army chief to be honorary colonel of Brigade of the GuardsJuly 12th, 2010 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) Gen. V.K. Singh will Wednesday take over as the honorary colonel of the Brigade of the Guards, an elite regiment of the Indian Army he heads.
An army spokesperson Monday said the ceremony would be held at Kamptee, Maharashtra, July 14 and 15.
The army chief will be the 17th honorary colonel of the mixed class composition infantry regiment - where troops from all parts of India serve together in various battalions of the regiment.
It was formed in 1949 by then army chief General K.M. Carriappa, India’s first Field Marshal, and Guards was a title coined to denote a body of handpicked soldiers
Apart from India, there are ‘Guards’ regiments in England, Switzerland, France, Russia and Holland.
India’s Brigade of the Guards was modeled on the British Coldstream Guards.
“Raising of the brigade with mixed class composition was a bold experiment. No one was sure whether men in an infantry unit, who fought with exemplary zeal, in the name of their respective class composition would do so in a mixed battalion also, which was composed of all classes and religions,” the spokesperson said.
Carriappa selected four existing infantry battalions — 2/2 Punjab now called the 1 Guards, 1 Grenadiers now called the 2 Guards, 1 Rajputana Rifles now 3 Guards and 1 Rajput now 4 Guards - which were among the oldest in the army.
Since Independence, Guards battalions have seen action on the India-China border, in Gaza and Angola with UN forces and in India-Pakistan wars and counter-insurgency operations.
Though the Brigade of The Guards is only 61 years old, its constituent battalions go back as far as 250 years and between them share 93 battle honours earned around the globe.
- Army Chief to be Honorary Colonel of Guards Regiment - Jul 12, 2010
- Britain's Coldstream Guards 'facing the axe' after 360 years - Jul 24, 2011
- Assam Rifles gets new chief - Aug 24, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Courage, war & Allah on bookshelf (IANS Books this Week) - Jun 09, 2012
- Britain to axe 20,000 troops - Jul 06, 2012
- Sikhs in Singapore: Turbanators with rich tradition of donning uniform - Mar 07, 2011
- Sikh to assume charge as Singapore Army Chief on March 25 - Mar 05, 2011
- India, France perfect counter-insurgency warfare skills - Oct 21, 2011
- Commonwealth mascot Shera, MBT Arjun to be 61st Republic Day attractions - Jan 26, 2010
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Suicide bomber reportedly hits NATO convoy as major offensive continues - Feb 13, 2010
- NATO troops launch major Afghan assault, warns insurgents of "overwhelming force" - Feb 13, 2010
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: 1 guards, army chief, army spokesperson, battle honours, bold experiment, chief general, class composition, coldstream guards, field marshal, grenadiers, honorary colonel, india china, india pakistan, indian army, infantry battalions, infantry regiment, infantry unit, maharashtra, rajput, rajputana rifles