Army chief reviews Jammu securityMarch 16th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 16 (IANS) The Indian Army chief, Gen. V.K. Singh paid a day’s visit to the cantonement town of Nagrota near here to “review the security situation and the steps in place to check infiltration” from Pakistan across the Line of Control (LoC) in the Jammu region of Jammu and Kashmir, an officer said.
An army spokesperson in Nagrota, the headquarters of the 16 Corps, said Gen. Singh, “was briefed by the senior officers on the prevailing situation south of the Pir Panjal range in Jammu and Kashmir”. The Jammu region falls south of the range.
The “troops should not become complacent as we are yet to see the end of terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir,” Gen. Singh said in his address to the officers, adding that there was a need to remain vigilant and prepared at all times.
He also expressed “satisfaction over the reduction of infiltration of terrorists” from Pakistan across the LoC.
The general also spoke about the steps being taken for transforming the army to make it more efficient operationally and logistically. He underlined the need for all ranks to always maintain high moral values and to live by the principles which are traditionally identified with the army.
This may be general’s last visit to the Jammu region as he is due to retire on May 31.
- Army chief warns of terrorist designs - Aug 10, 2011
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- No infiltration from across LoC this year: Indian Army - Jul 16, 2011
- Indian Army chief urges extra vigil in Kashmir - Apr 21, 2010
- No major pull out of troops from Kashmir: Army - Mar 29, 2010
- New strategy in Kashmir to foil terrorists' plans: Army - Oct 12, 2010
- 30 militants in Jammu's border districts: Army - Mar 22, 2012
- Defence, home ministries to decide on AFSPA: Army - Jan 15, 2012
- Pakistani firing seeks to push terrorists into Kashmir - Aug 23, 2012
- Two terrorists killed in Jammu and Kashmir - Nov 14, 2010
- Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security - May 11, 2011
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
- Army steps up vigil along LoC - May 20, 2012
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: army chief, army spokesperson, indian army, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, loc, moral values, pakistan, pir panjal range, satisfaction, security situation, terrorism, terrorists