Army chief, defence secretary get contempt notice over pensionApril 9th, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday issued notices to army chief General Deepak Kapoor and Defence Secretary Vijay Singh for allegedly ignoring its order for removal of discrepancies in pensions.
A bench of Justice Altmas Kabir and Justice Cyriac Joseph issued notices on a lawsuit filed by 19 retired army officers of major general rank.
The litigation alleged that the government has ignored a September 2008 Supreme Court order that there should not be any discrimination between officers of major general rank - those who retired before 1996 and those who retired after 1996.
In their lawsuit, the retired officers pointed out that the pension disparity had occurred due to implementation of the fifth pay panel report in a faulty way by the defence ministry.
Appearing for the petitioners, senior counsel Nidesh Gupta said the anomaly had resulted in brigadiers, an army officer one rank lower than the major generals, retiring after 1996 getting more pensions than the major generals retiring before 1996.
Gupta told the court that retired officers are demanding that the minimum pay of major generals should be fixed a notch above the maximum pay of brigadiers for removal of the anomaly and disparity resulting in the pay structures of the retired army officers.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had in June 2005 ordered any disparity should be abolished but the defence ministry moved the Supreme Court challenging the ruling.
The apex court eventually in September 2008 upheld the high court ruling and ordered the government to fix the pensions of the retired army officers within three months.
The government, however, chose to challenge it through a review petition, which continues to lie in the apex court’s registry owing to some defects in the petition.
- SC orders pay review bonanza for defence officers - Sep 05, 2012
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Apex court notice to army chief, defence secretary over pensions - Apr 09, 2009
- Uneasy truce between government, army chief - Apr 24, 2012
- Weapons sale racket: Court irate over getting Captain's affidavit - Oct 22, 2010
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Set up panel for retired defence staff: Apex court (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Apex court recalls order on panel for ex-servicemen - Jul 18, 2011
- Government reiterates order on Army chief's age issue, to settle case in court (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Pension bonanza for ex-servicemen after Supreme Court ruling - Mar 16, 2010
- Government to settle army chief age issue in court, not administratively - Jan 29, 2012
- Apex court calls for panel for retired defence staff - Sep 08, 2010
- Government, army chief row sets unhealthy precedent: minister (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Petitioners claim apex court was misled on next army chief (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Army considering women officers' promotion. court told (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011