Armed tribal youths arrested in Tripura (Lead)April 5th, 2012 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 5 (IANS) Even as union Home Minister P. Chidambaram was visiting Mizoram over the Reang refugees repatriation issue, security forces arrested five Reang tribal youths with arms at a refugee camp in northern Tripura, police said here Thursday.
“During a special operation, the paramilitary Assam Rifles troopers arrested five tribal youths from Naising Para refugee camp in north Tripura Wednesday night,” a police spokesman told reporters here.
The police official said two improvised guns and three revolvers were recovered from the tribal youths, aged between 22 and 28 years, who were inmates of the refugee camp.
Later, the Assam Rifles troopers handed them over to police.
Following ethnic tensions after the killing of a Mizo forest official in Mizoram, over 41,000 Reang tribal refugees - locally called Bru - had taken shelter in six camps in north Tripura’s Kanchanpur sub-division in October 1997.
The Mizoram government occasionally raised allegations that a section of Reang refugees have become involved in terrorism and were trying to create violence in Mizoram, bordering Myanmar and Bangladesh.
- Armed tribal youths arrested in Mizoram - Apr 05, 2012
- Refugees' return to Mizoram from Tripura put off - Apr 27, 2012
- Amid uncertainty, Reang refugees to return to Mizoram - Apr 25, 2012
- Repatriation of Mizoram refugees from Tripura fails again - Apr 27, 2012
- Reang refugee repatriation from Tripura to Mizoram begins - May 04, 2012
- Onus on Mizoram to take back tribal refugees: Tripura - Feb 26, 2012
- Reang refugees' return to Mizoram stalled again - May 16, 2012
- Chidambaram asks Mizo refugees in Tripura to return home - Feb 18, 2012
- Chidambaram asks refugees in Tripura to return to Mizoram (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- 14 burnt to death at Tripura refugee camp - Mar 19, 2011
- Refugee repatriation from Tripura to Mizoram starts April 26: Chidambaram - Apr 05, 2012
- Mizo refugees repatriation from Tripura in balance - Nov 23, 2010
- Mizoram postpones return home of refugees from Tripura - Nov 30, 2010
- Chidambaram in Aizawl, to discuss Reang issue - Apr 04, 2012
- Refugee repatriation to Mizoram begins - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: 28 years, allegations, assam rifles, bangladesh, guns, inmates, mizoram government, myanmar, north tripura, p chidambaram, police official, police spokesman, refugee camp, refugees, repatriation, revolvers, security forces, tensions, union home minister, wednesday night