Armed men kidnap 34 Cuban refugees in MexicoJune 13th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 13 (DPA) A group of armed men have kidnapped a group of 34 illegal Cuban refugees who were being transported in a government bus in Mexico, the police have said. The incident occurred Wednesday night, when the kidnappers stopped the bus in the southern state of Chiapas, forced the official escorts out of the bus and drove off with the occupants under their command, a police spokesman said Thursday.
The empty bus, operated by Mexico’s immigration department, was found later. There was no trace of the Cuban refugees.
The Cubans had been picked up by Mexican officials along the country’s eastern coast, a common beaching point for Cuban refugees who use the route on their way to the US. Their boats usually take them to the Yucatan peninsula.
Upon arrival on the US mainland, Cubans receive automatic residency rights.
Mexico, which wants to normalise its relations with Cuba, has threatened to send the illegal immigrants back to Cuba.
The 34 refugees were detained late last week by the Mexican Navy on the beach near the resort city of Cancun. They were turned over to the immigration department and were to be transported to Tapachula on the border with Guatemala.
Mexico maintains a refugee camp in Tapachula, where illegal immigrants are detained while they await the official decision about whether they may remain in Mexico or must be deported.
- Over 100 trafficked people rescued in Mexico - Nov 15, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Three Cubans escape from migrant detention camp in Mexico - Dec 28, 2009
- 78 migrants hidden in trailer intercepted in Mexico - Apr 13, 2011
- Police rescue 12 kidnapped migrants in Mexico - Jul 25, 2011
- Hurricane Paula Makes Way Towards Mexico - Oct 13, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 46 in Central America - May 31, 2010
- Tropical Storm Karl to hit Yucatan Peninsula, bringing sustained winds of up to 65 mph - Sep 15, 2010
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Over 100 Mexican immigration agency employees sacked - Oct 16, 2011
- Four killed as Tropical Storm Agatha, first of the Eastern Pacific season, closes in on Guatemala - May 30, 2010
- Russian caught smuggling 320 turtles from Mexico - Sep 06, 2012
- Hurricane Ida Special Advisory Number 19 - Nov 09, 2009
- US has nearly 11 mn illegal migrants; India major source country - Feb 26, 2011
- Aeromexico carries out first transcontinental biofuel flight - Aug 02, 2011