Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in TripuraMarch 8th, 2011 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, March 8 (IANS) Separatist tribal guerrillas have abducted four workers from the construction site of a health sub-centre in a village in northern Tripura, police said here Tuesday.
“NLFT (National Liberation Front of Tripura) militants raided a workers’ temporary camp at Bhagirath village Monday night and kidnapped eight workers at gunpoint. Four hostages managed to escape from captivity,” a police spokesman told reporters.
The outlawed NLFT ultras may have taken the captives into neighbouring Bangladesh as the border is just five km from the spot, 175 km from Agartala under Dhalai district, the official added.
The state government has asked the Border Security Force (BSF) to take appropriate steps to rescue the hostages — all tribals.
The workers were engaged by a contractor to construct a health sub-centre at tribal-dominated Bhagirath village under Gandachara sub-division.
Troopers of the BSF and Tripura State Rifles led by senior police officials have launched a search operation to rescue the labourers.
Police suspect that the extremists might have kidnapped the labourers for ransom.
The banned NLFT, along with another outlawed outfit All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF), has been fighting for an independent tribal homeland in Tripura and operates out of neighbouring Bangladesh, which shares an 856-km border with Tripura.
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in Tripura - May 07, 2012
- Abducted Tripura tribals taken to Bangladesh - Dec 10, 2010
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- NLFT guerrillas abduct five Tripura farmers - Sep 01, 2010
- 10 people abducted by rebels in Tripura, Mizoram - Jun 08, 2011
- Tribal militants abduct six people in Tripura - Jul 01, 2011
- Official killed in militant ambush in Tripura - Jan 31, 2011
- Two BSF troopers killed by terrorists in Tripura - Aug 06, 2010
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: abducted, agartala, attf, bhagirath, border security force, captives, captivity, construction site, extremists, guerrillas, gunpoint, hostages, national liberation front, neighbouring, police officials, police spokesman, search operation, tiger force, tribal homeland, ultras