Armed forces short of 14,299 officers: AntonyJuly 15th, 2009 - 5:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) The armed forces are short of a staggering 14,299 officers, parliament was informed Wednesday.
Of this, the Indian Army is short of 11,387 officers, the Indian Air Force of 1,512 officers and the Indian Navy of 1,400 officers, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
This apart, during the last five years, 4,300 army officers, 1,177 air force officers and 1,096 naval officers have sought premature retirement or have resigned.
“Premature retirement is considered on the grounds of non-empanelment (for promotion), supersession and permanent low medical category, as also on compassionate grounds,” Antony said.
According to the minister, a number of steps have been taken “to motivate the service personnel to continue in service and to attract the talented youth to join the armed forces”.
All officers, including those in the short service commission (SSC) stream, are now eligible to hold the substantive rank of captain, major and lieutenant colonel after two, six and 13 years of service, respectively.
The tenure of SSC officers has also been increased from 10 years to 14 years, Antony said.
Seven hundred and fifty posts of lieutenant colonel have been upgraded to colonel as part of implementing phase-I of the A.V. Singh Committee Report.
Besides, 1,896 additional posts in the ranks of colonel, brigadier, major general and lieutenant general and their equivalent in the other two Services have been upgraded as part of implementing phase-II of the report, the minister said.
“The implementation of the recommendations of the VI Central Pay Commission with substantial improvements in the pay structure of officers of the armed forces will also go a long way in making the services more attractive,” Antony added.
- Armed forces faces shortage of nearly 15000 officers - Jul 15, 2009
- Armed forces facing a shortage of 15,004 officers, says Antony - Mar 07, 2011
- Indian Army short of 12,500 officers: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- Shortage of 14,448 officers in Army, Navy and Air Force - Mar 10, 2010
- No discernible decreasing trend in number of officers in Army: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- To plug officer shortage, Indian Army to open Bihar academy - Jun 17, 2011
- Armed Forces facing shortage of 13,830 officers - Oct 20, 2008
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Army considering women officers' promotion. court told (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- Armed forces considering greater role for women officers: Antony - Jun 10, 2011
- Reinstate 11 women officers, apex court tells army - Sep 02, 2011
- All is not well at South Block, still - Apr 03, 2012
- No resentment among armed forces over Sixth Pay Commission report - Oct 20, 2008
- Over 3,000 policemen promoted in Dubai - Jun 07, 2012