Armaan finishes 12th in Indy LightsApril 17th, 2012 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Long Beach (California), April 17 (IANS) India’s Armaan Ebrahim survived a difficult weekend to finish 12th after starting 13th in the third round of the Firestone Indy Lights championship, here.
Driving for Fan Force United team, Ebrahim’s Friday practice session was shortened by rain and on Sunday, his car suffered from mechanical issues.
“On Friday, I was actually very encouraged,” said Ebrahim commenting on his practice session. “The car was solid and quite responsive compared to some of the issues we had in Alabama. Things really felt right for a good weekend.”
Ebrahim, sponsored by JK Tyre, started out strong in qualifying Saturday. Through the first few laps, he was running in the top 5. But times soon fell as a number of full course and local yellows killed his momentum time after time.
Qualifying wrapped up with time for only three laps after the final red flag. On cold tires, Ebrahim was never able to push the car to its potential.
Sunday, in the first couple of laps, power seeming to be down on the engine. Following the race, after initial analysis by the engine manufacturer, it was determined that the motor had a cylinder with a bad coil wire which likely caused a decline in horsepower.
Further testing will be done in the week ahead to assess the repair work needed. Ebrahim went on to finish the race in 12th position.
The team proceeded to nearby Fontana where the Indian Rookie will have his first go at an oval track. Testing here Tuesday will be to prepare for the running of the Freedom 100, the next event on the schedule in Indianapolis, May 25.
- Armaan on pace at the Auto Speedway - Apr 18, 2012
- India's Armaan Ebrahim sixth at Indianapolis test - May 13, 2012
- Firestone Indy Lights: Armaan eighth quickest in practice - Mar 08, 2012
- India's Armaan eighth on Indy debut - Mar 25, 2012
- Armaan finishes 12th after shunt - Apr 02, 2012
- Armaan salvages one point in Formula 2 championships - Sep 06, 2010
- Armaan set for maiden Indy race - Mar 23, 2012
- Armaan set for fresh Formula 2 season - Apr 14, 2011
- Armaan disappoints in rounds 7 and 8 of Formula 2 - Jul 04, 2011
- Armaan misses out on points at Spa rounds of F2 - Jun 27, 2011
- Armaan signs up with Fan Force United - Jan 04, 2012
- Armaan finishes sixth at Brands Hatch - Jul 24, 2011
- India's Armaan seventh at Formula 2 in Silverstone - Apr 18, 2011
- Armaan disappoints at Magny-Cours race - May 16, 2011
- Armaan hoping for a turnaround with Brands Hatch F2 race - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: coil wire, decline, ebrahim, engine manufacturer, firestone indy, fontana, indian rookie, initial analysis, jk tyre, long beach california, mechanical issues, momentum, oval track, practice session, red flag, three laps, time after time, tyre, united team, yellows