Argentine players visit Mother House, Messi skipsSeptember 4th, 2011 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 3 (IANS) Six Argentine players including Jonas Gutierrez and Diego Mradona’s son-in-law Sergio Aguero paid a visit to Mother House, global headquarters of Mother Teresa-founded Missionaries of Charity here Saturday.
Nicolas Burdisso, Mariano Andujar, Marcos Rojo and Estaban Andrad and a member of the support staff prayed before the Mother’s three-foot high cement tomb on the ground floor of the two-storeyed building in central Kolkata.
Missionaries of Charity sources said during their 20-minute stay, the players also went to the chapel where the Mother used to attend prayers.
“They came quietly, and left silently,” said a nun. However, unlike Maradona, Lionel Messi did not go to Mother House.
Mother Teresa - born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in Skopje, Macedonia, on August 26, 1910, to an ethnic Albanian family - made Kolkata her home and workplace for 68 years since 1929.
The selfless nun, who was given the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979, devoted her life ministering to the old, the abandoned, the poorest of the poor and the ailing.
She founded the Catholic order, Missionaries of Charity in 1950.
- Special prayers mark Mother Teresa's 13th death anniversary - Sep 06, 2010
- Mass begins Mother Teresa's birth centenary celebrations - Aug 26, 2010
- Kolkatans shower Mother Teresa with love on centenary (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2010
- Outpouring of love, Papal message mark Mother Teresa centenary (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- 13 years on, Mother Teresa still draws foreign tourists to Kolkata - Sep 03, 2010
- Mother Teresa's visual biography opens film festival - Aug 26, 2010
- Kolkata gears up to salute Mother Teresa Thursday (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Kolkata prepraes to salute Mother Teresa - Aug 25, 2010
- There will be none like Mother Teresa again, say commoners - Aug 24, 2010
- Five rupee commemorative coin on Mother Teresa released - Aug 29, 2010
- Mother Teresa's birth centenary celebrations begin - Aug 23, 2010
- New docu-drama to mark 100 years of Mother Teresa - Aug 18, 2010
- Kolkatans fume at Albania's proposal to take Teresa's remains - Oct 13, 2009
- Messi to captain strong Argentina side in Kolkata - Aug 19, 2011
- Mother Teresa remembered on her 13th death anniversary - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: agnes gonxha bojaxhiu, albanian family, andujar, cement, estaban, ethnic albanian, global headquarters, lionel messi, macedonia, missionaries of charity, mother teresa, mradona, nicolas burdisso, nobel peace prize, nobel peace prize in 1979, prayers, support staff