Aretha Franklin calls off marriageJanuary 24th, 2012 - 6:34 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 24 (IANS) Singer Aretha Franklin has called off her marriage to William ‘Willie’ Wilkerson.
The “Respect” singer was due to exchange wedding vows with Wilkerson this summer but they are no longer going ahead because they felt things had started to move a “little too fast” in their relationship, reports contactmusic.com.
A statement signed “Aretha and Will” read: “Regretfully, To Our Friends and Supporters: Will and I have decided we were moving a little too fast, and there were a number of things that had not been thought through thoroughly. There will be no wedding at this time.”
“We will not comment on it any further because of the very personal and sensitive nature of it. We appreciate all of the many well wishes from friends.”
The 69-year-old soul legend had been very secretive about her private life. She announced her engagement to her long-time friend and companion William in January and they were planning to tie the knot on a yacht in Miami Beach, Florida, in June or July.
- Aretha Franklin engaged - Jan 04, 2012
- Aretha Franklin 'feeling great' post-surgery - Dec 17, 2010
- Aretha Franklin's biopic moving forward without Halle Berry - Jan 18, 2011
- Aretha Franklin reveals she has lost 85 pounds - Mar 03, 2011
- Halle Berry Refuses To Be Aretha Franklin In The Biopic - Jan 18, 2011
- Aretha Franklin 'diagnosed with pancreatic cancer' - Dec 09, 2010
- N.E.R.D. Star Shay Haley Ties The Knot With Sean Taylor's Ex-Girlfriend - Nov 16, 2010
- Cancer-stricken Aretha Franklin 'has less than a year to live' - Dec 09, 2010
- Aretha Franklin '150 percent' ready for first post-surgery concert - Feb 17, 2011
- Brazilian supermodel to wed one of Bob Marley's sons - May 14, 2012
- Robbie Williams Walks Down Aisle With Dogs As Bridesmaids - Aug 13, 2010
- Queen Of Soul Aretha Franklin Recuperating After 'Highly Successful' Surgery - Dec 05, 2010
- Franklin suffering from pancreatic cancer - Dec 10, 2010
- Soul Icon Aretha Franklin Suffering From Pancreatic Cancer? - Dec 09, 2010
- Katy plans girl power anthem with Rihanna - Mar 21, 2012